• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Root-ing 4.4.4

klembo1957

Make sure you Wipe Cache Partition though.

... Thom
Hello and good morning! Well, I spent a lot of time at the LG Spectrum forum, but it was time for a new contract with VZW.....I chose the Motorola Razor Maxx (one of the free phones), and since you mention wiping the cache, I assume you are rooted? What is the most successful method used here to obtain root on this device? I appreciate any advice....

Wipe Cache Partition does not require a root-ed device. It is a standard capability available to everyone.

There is a lot of confusion about the term Maxx ... namely ...
Droid Razr Maxx
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Droid Maxx
... and each has a forum at Android Forums with a root sub-forum.

If you identify which phone you are using we can move your post to the root sub-forum for that phone.

... Thom

Well, in Settings, it says it is simply a "Droid Maxx". It has been some time since I was involved with android......hope I can get back into it. Thanks for your reply and help with this.

After looking again, I think I am in the correct forum for my phone. I've been avoiding taking the OTA update, since I've read that that update may keep me from achieving root with the methods described here. When I received my first android phone, I was like 2 years late.....a lot of development was already done with it by then. I seem to be a couple of years behind in that respect. Every time my VZW contract is up, the phones they offer have already been out for quite a while.

The confusion cam in when you said in your original message that you were using a "Razor Maxx". Fromn your recent response you are apparently using a Droid Maxx.

The reference at ... http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-maxx-reference.754536/ ... shows information on each of the releases to the Droid Maxx. I assume you are on 4.4.4. You can verify.

I am not root-ed and to not track the information closely. I guess you are on 4.4.4 and the last version of the Maxx that had an exploit for root-ing was 4.4.2.

I am moving your message to the root sub-forum where root-related questions are discussed.

... Thom

Last edited:
A few caveats:

1. I have not done this. (I have no interest in rooting my Maxx anyway.)
2. This looks scary to do
3. It's possible that you may need to downgrade the phone to SU6-7 in order to do this
4. I'd read that thread carefully many times before I started. And also make sure I had a fully charged battery...

As far as I know, this is the only method that will root a Droid Maxx that has been updated to 4.4.4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-ultra/general/droid-mini-maxx-ultra-root-pogress-100-t3071609

The confusion cam in when you said in your original message that you were using a "Razor Maxx". Fromn your recent response you are apparently using a Droid Maxx.

The reference at ... http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-maxx-reference.754536/ ... shows information on each of the releases to the Droid Maxx. I assume you are on 4.4.4. You can verify.

I am not root-ed and to not track the information closely. I guess you are on 4.4.4 and the last version of the Maxx that had an exploit for root-ing was 4.4.2.

I am moving your message to the root sub-forum where root-related questions are discussed.

... Thom
Thank you, you are correct. I am on 4.4.4. I also did describe my device as being Razor Maxx, when it is a Droid Maxx....sorry about that. Thank you for your help in getting me to the correct location in the forums..

A few caveats:

1. I have not done this. (I have no interest in rooting my Maxx anyway.)
2. This looks scary to do
3. It's possible that you may need to downgrade the phone to SU6-7 in order to do this
4. I'd read that thread carefully many times before I started. And also make sure I had a fully charged battery...

As far as I know, this is the only method that will root a Droid Maxx that has been updated to 4.4.4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-ultra/general/droid-mini-maxx-ultra-root-pogress-100-t3071609
I appreciate your time and help, thank you. I will go through that thread. After having an LG Spectrum for 2 years, the Droid Maxx seems to be a much better device, at least as far as speed and ease of use is concerned. I've been avoiding taking the update (keep getting requests to take it), because I fear VZW may have patched any exploits in it, keeping me from obtaining root. What are the advantages of root on this device? Is there any way to delete bloat ware?

I used the Maxx (32GB) for about a year and now the Turbo (64GB). Neither of mine have ever been root-ed.

One of the reasons people have to root is to delete pre-installed software on devices with limited storage space. There is a partial alternative. I use Nova Launcher Prime and one of its options is multiple drawers in the app drawer. The pre-installed apps that I find offensive I move to a drawer that I never visit.

As I said ... a partial alternative.

... Thom

Last edited:
Many "bloatware" items can be disabled from settings / apps. I have disabled a bunch of apps - Amazon, Amazon App Suite, Amazon MP3, [Amazon] Appstore, Audible, Badger (this apps is used to put unread icons on email, messages, etc., but only on the stock launcher - I don't use the stock launcher), Caller Name ID, [Verizon] Cloud, Droid Command Center (again, only works with the stock launcher), Droid Zap, Email (I use only Gmail and Google's InBox app for email), Google Play Books, Google Play Games, Help, Ingress, Messaging, Motorola Connect, Motorola Migrate, NFL Mobile, Softcard, Verizon Support and Protection, Verizon Tones, and VZ Navigator.

In many cases I disable apps because I know from looking at settings / battery that they actually use battery even when I am not using them. The Amazon apps are notorious for this. The first time that I received a phone call with the Maxx and was prompted by the Caller Name ID app to set it up and get charged a monthly fee after the first month - if I couldn't disable that app, I would have been livid.

The benefits of root? Maybe you'll have to ask somebody who roots their phone, but the one thing I miss from having rooted my phone in the past is using a backup app like Titanium Backup to backup all of my apps and their data, which definitely makes restoring after a factory data reset, or reinstalling a new phone from a warranty replacement, far easier.

Thank you for the information. I discovered the ability to disable apps too. Trying it out to see how effective it is. I have read several posts regarding paying for an unlock code. Does this just unlock the device so you can use a different sim card, or does it change the write protect from 1 to 0?

The sim card is unlocked already.

Perhaps you're reading offers of an unlock code for the bootloader, which allows you a lot more freedom to alter the phone, and makes rooting a lot easier. But I am pretty sure that there are no active bootloader unlock services for sale that will work right now.

So, I am basically stuck in 4.4.4 heaven, or hell....whichever you want to call it. LOL It seems I will always be stuck a couple of years behind in development when my contract with VZW renews. Just bad timing I guess. I was tempted to try buying an unlock code just to see if it would work. I really would like to get rid of the daily notifications regarding a "system update", and several other annoying messages on both my phone and my wife's (we both chose the same phone). It is so frustrating to pay VZW these monthly fees, AND have to accept their bloatware. I am trying the "disable" option on many applications, we'll see how effective it is. Thank you for your quick reply!!

Back
Top Bottom