• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE X MAX+ Z987, revert from android 5.1 to 4.4 or get firmware v2.3.15

I have searched through many threads on the ZTE X MAX+ on this forum and others. I'm not posting this thread to be told to go to those threads, otherwise I'd have kept researching (which I've done hours of).

I'm trying to help a friend fix his phone's wifi. Wifi doesn't scan at all, so pretty much no signs of it working at all. I thought I'd try and update to lolipop 5.1 and was able to with a downloaded 5.1 update from a blog. Wifi still doesn't work in 5.1, so I immediately looked into rooting. It's my first time ever trying to root a phone.

For rooting, I've tried lots of different programs that root over USB. You can try recommending something and I've probably already tried, but please recommend away in case I missed something.

Eventually I realized that maybe upgrading to 5.1 is keeping me form successfully rooting. So now I'm trying to get help for either a) rooting a Z987 with 5.1 v2.2.12, b) downgrading to 4.4, c) upgrading to v2.3.15 over USB and not OTA or d) fixing the WiFi some other way.

My focus with trying to root was to be able to rename "wpa_supplicant.conf" to "wpa_supplicant.bak." Apparently this may help the Wifi toggle function properly. Unfortunately that can't be changed without root access.

Thanks so much to anyone who tries to help me and even others with the same problem.

OP here. What about getting a custom recovery and using ADB to edit the file? I looked into TWRP but couldn't figure out if there was anything that will work with my phone over USB. And I'm pretty sure all I need to revert to 4.4 is to get a custom recovery that will allow me to flash the 4.4 ROM. Anyone know of a method that works for me?

Upvote 0
OP here. What about getting a custom recovery and using ADB to edit the file? I looked into TWRP but couldn't figure out if there was anything that will work with my phone over USB. And I'm pretty sure all I need to revert to 4.4 is to get a custom recovery that will allow me to flash the 4.4 ROM. Anyone know of a method that works for me?

Once again there isn't one. Once the update to lollipop was installed the only way to get twrp running and get root was removed.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones