• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooted Phone and Updates

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
A few months ago, I decided to root my phone for the sole purpose of using Keyboard Manager. I did nothing else such as installing custom ROM. I was wondering what would happen if my carrier decides to push out a firmware update to my phone.

Would I get the notification that I have an update available?

Would I be able to install the update without any significant damage to my phone or its functions?

If I decide to install the update, would this mean I lose access to root and the functionality of Keyboard Manager (which requires root)?

Would installing the update require me to reroot my phone?

Would I even be able to root my phone after installing the update? Are the rooting methods going to change with a new update, rendering my existing process for rooting ineffective?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of regarding rooting and official updates by carriers?

Thanks, in advance.

If you get an update and install it it will remove root so youll have to root it again.
Im not sure if updates get pushed to rooted phones(?) Do you have custom recovery installed mate?

The root procedure that I followed seemed to include some type of backup step. I haven't touched it or the special boot procedure to check anything ever since I rooted my phone a few months ago. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been an update pushed to my phone yet. I saw some threads about other countries getting an update, so I wanted to be prepared.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones