• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting 10.5 Tab S ?

Hello All, I am a newby to rooting devices. But I have to tell you, I am getting frustrated with Samsung's restrictions. At this point I do not care about the warranty. Thinking about computers, I know manufactures are always releasing firmware updates for their hardware. I also know every now and then I will get updates pushed out to my Galaxy S5 phone and they are not always Android updates. If/when I root the Tab, will I still get Samsung updates "pushed" to the Tab? Or is that not really a concern? Will I still get the Android updates like my S5 phone, which was just updated to Lollipop?

I actually replied to another thread on this forum not thinking about starting a new thread until now, sorry about the double post.

Hello All, I am a newby to rooting devices. But I have to tell you, I am getting frustrated with Samsung's restrictions. At this point I do not care about the warranty. Thinking about computers, I know manufactures are always releasing firmware updates for their hardware. I also know every now and then I will get updates pushed out to my Galaxy S5 phone and they are not always Android updates. If/when I root the Tab, will I still get Samsung updates "pushed" to the Tab? Or is that not really a concern? Will I still get the Android updates like my S5 phone, which was just updated to Lollipop?

I actually replied to another thread on this forum not thinking about starting a new thread until now, sorry about the double post.

I don't have enough experience with Samsung to know for sure, but I would suspect not, or at least the OTA download, if offered, may not succeed. This might not be true if you found a root method that didn't trip the KNOX bit, but the ones I've seen and used do. Generally, OTA updates will fail if they detect any system changes.

In my case it didn't concern me because I didn't stop at rooting and flashed a custom ROM. I'll get my update when my ROM incorporates the update. In general, when the firmware is released, you can probably find it if you ask here or over at XDA. You would have to research the different ways you could flash the update using Odin or a custom recovery.

If you don't care about the warranty, go for it, but make sure you do your homework and ask questions until you are comfortable with procedures *before* you dive in. ;)

Back
Top Bottom