• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Question

San Antone RR

OK, before all of you flame me for asking, I have looked over the forum and if the answer is here, I missed it.

Rooting is the equivalent to jailbreaking and unlocking an IPhone as I understand it. I just bricked an IPhone because I left it alone on the laptop for a moment to go to the kitchen for a beer while syncing and the GF decided to help me out by finishing the sync for me and updating my phone to 1.1.3. (Very expensive Shiner Bock, let me tell you.)

I now have a G1 running 1.6 and am considering rooting. Since this is open source, I really don't have to worry about updates turning my G1 into a paperweight as long as I root it correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve,

Although turning your G1 into an expensive paperweight is a possibility, I personally have not heard of this happening as the result of a random system or firmware update but others may have.

I have been running a rooted G1 now for sometime and to my knowledge the only real guaranteed way to brick is by flashing a certain SPL prior to flashing the proper Radio.

I have also recently heard of somebody bricking their phone by flashing the newest radio prior to downgrading to RC29 (the exploitable firmware you would eventually need to obtain root) It seems RC29 does not like the newer radio so be careful.

I should also add that Root on a g1 really encompasses tons more than just jailbreaking an I phone. I feel the only true similarity is that you are going beyond the manufacturers/carriers limitations to gain more control over the device that you paid for.

If you want to obtain root in a semi-hazard free manner, all you have to do is read and follow directions. I am sure many great guides still exist on this forum.

Good Luck man:)

Hey Steve,

Read your post and it was alot of the same concerns that i had before i rooted my G1. If you follow the guides step by step it should be pretty painless and no you wont brick your phone because of an update. A couple of things that you do want to watch out for is to make sure that you flash your updated radio and SPL in the proper order, not doing so will brick your phone. Make sure you install a good recovery image. I currently use Amon Ra v1.5 and it is awsome. it allows for backing up your current rom and apps in the recovery image, allows for you to be able to toggle on your USB from the recovery image, and has a built in script to help you partition your SD card, which you need to do if you want Apps2SD to work and be able to save your apps to your SD card instead of to your phone, more available phone memory that way. Another thing you want to watch out for is to make sure you flash the proper SPL. The danger SPL or death SPL as it is called is meant to go on phones with the 32B board or PVT board, wont work on 32A. just do your research first and, if it helps like it did me, print out a guide on rooting your phone. Than just sit back and enjoy all the Rommy goodness. FYI i currently run the updated radio, death spl, and Pays-Rom_v1.60 on my rooted g1 and it is very fast and incredibly stable, but hey, part of the fun is choosing your own flavor.

Back
Top Bottom