• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Rumor Google Ditching Android Java for Fuchsia, C/C++ etc

But why? What would be the reason behind such a move? After all, Android is now the predominant mobile platform. Beating iOS. And the nature of Java's portability makes it an ideal choice for a programming language to develop applications for diverse hardware architectures. Going to a binary compiled language such C or C++ would be a step backwards in terms of application development.

Unless they want to lock down the platform further, and prevent tampering. But really, a major strength of Android is its openness, and ability to customise. That attracts a lot of customers. Throwing away Android seems like madness, but this is Google, nothing is off the table. Who knows?!

Hm, I hadn't heard about Fucshia, but a quick Google reveals this

"Fuchsia's user interface and apps are written with "Flutter", a software development kit allowing cross-platform development abilities for Fuchsia, Android and iOS"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

So such a dev kit would enable compatibility with iOS. Now that would be an advantage, if it worked.

Reactions: ac4android
Upvote 0
Look, I agree with everything you say.
But apparently, there is ongoing legal trouble with Oracle over Java.
I just don't want to hear loose talks like that.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Google-imp...r-Android-due-to-licensing-issues-with-Oracle

I think Google should make it quite clear what the future direction is for Android.

That site requires sign in, so can't view it.. :thumbsdowndroid:
login.jpg

Reactions: ac4android
Upvote 0
Is Google implictly going to drop Java and use Kotlin for Android due to licensing issues with Oracle?
Ramtin Mesgari
Ramtin Mesgari, lives in South Africa
Answered Jun 10
Google is not going to drop Java for Android. Google is going to drop Android. Google announced a new operating system that they have been working on: Fuchsia.

Fuchsia is an open source, real time OS that was announced in August 2016. Unlike Android, it won’t be Linux based, instead it will use a new micro kernel developed by Google called Magenta. Google believes that Android will not be able to keep up with the ever-improving smartphone hardware and plans to release Fuchsia to solve this issue. Whether Android will be completely replaced or not is not clear.

Fuchsia uses a card-based UI (similar to Google Now cards) and its aim is to address Android’s 2 biggest issues.

A lack of focus on smooth UI performance
Rolling out updates to 3rd party hardware ecosystems
Google is dumping Linux and the GPL and most likely Java and all the problems they have had with Oracle.

It will be written in: Go, Rust, Dart, C, C++ and Python. But nowhere is it seen that Java is a language that will be used.

Google is going to use their new Flutter Framework to build apps and have been doing so for Android and iOS, which is another indication that Java is not in Google’s future plans for smartphones.

In short: Yes, Google is going to drop Java, due to the fact that Android is to be replaced by Fuchsia and Fuchsia is not written in Java.

EDIT 1: Check out this video if you want to see what Fuchsia looks like thus far.

EDIT 2: I am not saying that Android will 100% definitely be replaced by Fuchsia. I am just sharing information as to the possibility, which there definitely is, that Google will replace Android with Fuchsia. Even if that happens, it will not be a sudden act, it will be done over time. At the end of the day, this is only speculation for now, Google might try to keep both operating systems. We’ll just have to wait and see…

References:

Google’s “Fuchsia” smartphone OS dumps Linux, has a wild new UI
Fuchsia OS: What you need to know
What we learned from running Fuchsia, the mysterious new OS from Google
Open-Source Clues to Google's Mysterious Fuchsia OS
Google Fuchsia - Wikipedia
144.3k Views · 722 Upvotes
Upvote

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones