• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3(Verizon) Fully Charged But Suddenly Died

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
OK, so this is not my phone however it is a phone of one of my co-workers. She doesn't root or anything like that but she took her phone off the charger and it was just sitting there and it turned completely off and won't turn back on. I played with it a little with the boot options like power and volume buttons, and all the different boot mode options I know to get it to respond. It does nothing. I even plugged it into my charger here at work and it didn't even react. The phone is in immaculate shape. I don't know what caused this to happen but does anyone have any ideas as to what other method could be used to get this phone to respond? A fast response would be AWESOME! I know we all have to work but I'd really like to help my friend out. Thanks

First remove the battery and see if you can get the phone to react with the original Samsung charger and cord. If it does, the battery is probably shorted. But it sounds as if the phone is hard-bricked. Using a Samsung dongle (you can get them on ebay for a couple of dollars), you can boot the phone into download mode. Then you can use Odin to flash new firmware.

If the dongle doesn't boot the phone, there's a serious hardware failure, and it should go to Samsung for repair. (Not some shop that repairs Samsung phones, but Samsung itself. If you're in the US, go to Best buy and ask where the Samsung desk is. (It's in the cellphone area.)

The only reason I suggest the dongle is that it's really cheap and there's about a 1% chance it'll fix the problem. For 2 bucks, I think it's worth the chance before bringing it in for repair.

So, my friend bought the phone from someone because she had a windows phone that died. I removed the battery looked in the compartment to see if anything was preventing a good seat and everything looks like it was just unwrapped from the packaging. I agree that it sounds like a hard brick. I'll see if she has the charger and cord with her today and have her try what you said. She doesn't know anything about all the other stuff you mentioned, although I do. I doubt she would be willing to give that a shot. But she is willing to replace the battery if that's the problem. I don't know if it's worth her getting the phone fixed if it's going to cost almost as much as upgrading or using the edge program to get a new phone. But that's up to her. I appreciate the help and now I'll know what to do if my wife's phone does the same thing at any point now or future. I'll check back with an update and let you guys know what happens.

Would it be wrong of me to ask if I could have the S3 that is in question? I only want it so that I can play with it, if I'm able to get it working again. Hell, if I can then I'll just give it to my wife since her screen is cracked.

Could be something as simple as her charger quit working. She thought it was charged, unplugged it, went on her merry way, and it died.
Maybe leave it plugged into your charger for a while (even though it may appear to do anything at first). :hmmmm:

She found someone here at work with the same phone as her's and tried it in her phone and it still didn't do anything. It's hard bricked for whatever reason. She did just get a new update of sorts so even though that might not be the exact cause it is possible right?

Tried a different battery and nothing?
Could the update be the reason?----not sure.

What about holding the power button for short bit to see if it boots up?
What about pulling the battery, plug the device into the wall charger?

Sorry, I'm just throwing ideas out there. :o

What about the 3 button combo to get into recovery or download mode?
(hold down the home button, then the volume up button, then power button)

I'm going to ask her for it here in a few and see if that boot method will get it to work. She only has her cord for charging and not the wall charger at the moment. I'm going to give it all I can while here at work. She said she's going to go back to her windows phone.... :-O But I'm still going to try to mess with the S3.

OK, so every single step and method mentioned here has been tried minus the buying of the cord and taking it to Best Buy. Found out that she is the first owner of the phone as she got it from someone that sells cell phones. So it was a brand new phone when she got it. She's going to take it to Verizon and see what they say even though she didn't get it directly thru them it is still a Verizon phone.

Back
Top Bottom