• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 vs DNA

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
I know these two devices have been compared alot out there, but I thought I would add my two cents for anyone in the market for either of them. Of course, this is coming from personal experience and is reflective of only my opinion of everyday use of both devices. I'm sure others will have a different experience and opinion, so take mine with a grain of salt. And I'm not going to compare the hardware because that's easy enough to find on your own (and also because both devices are powerhouses). So I just want to give a real-world comparison of the devices.

So if you want to skip reading all of my comments and just hear the verdict, I can tell you that I started with the S3, then tried the DNA, and now I'm returning to my S3. While I believe any user will be happy with either device, I feel that the S3 is the overall better device.

Now onto the reasons why...

First and foremost, I was surprised by the lack of games available on the DNA. The 1080p screen is not supported by many developers (yet) so you cannot play Need For Speed, NBA Jams, nor even Doodle Jump on the DNA. That was a big disappointment.

The second disappointment was the Contacts/Phone functionality. I feel that the S3 makes it easier to navigate through your contacts and I really missed the swipe to dial/text functionality that the S3 offers. The DNA interface felt like it took forever to reach a contact and then dial or message. I'm fully aware that direct dial/message can be set up, but for the one time calls, it's way faster on the S3.

Also the lack of toggles in the pulldown-status bar is another ding against the DNA.

And while this is totally superficial, I feel that the design on the S3 is much more noticeable than the DNA, especially when you put your device in a case. Since I like to protect my devices with a TPU case, I found that the DNA just looks like a big, black candy bar without any character when put in a case. On the other hand, my white S3 still looks polished and distinctive in any case it's put in.

The last major flaw on the DNA is the charging port cover. This cover is probably the most annoying design flaw I've experienced on a phone. Thankfully the DNA battery life is AMAZING, so you don't have to play with the cover three times per day. I didn't realize how bad the S3 battery was until I started using the DNA. So if you're really concerned about battery, the DNA easily beats out the S3.

Another thing that the DNA beats the S3 on is the signal strength. I was really impressed with the DNA for holding cell signal in areas where my S3 typically drops calls.

And of course I have to comment about the feel of both devices in the hands. The S3 gets ribbed for feeling plasticy, and I don't disagree. But, the thinness of the S3 is amazing relative to the DNA. It just feels sleeker in the hand than the DNA. And it's noticeably lighter too. I'm not a big fan of the soft-touch material on the DNA either which tends to show finger prints and smudges easily.

Other than those differences, I think the devices are very comparable. The cameras are both adequate. The screens are both amazing (albeit the DNA is a bit crisper). And overall speed is great on either device.

So in summation, I feel that the DNA has a far superior battery, impressive signal strength, and a sturdier feel to it, but the overall day-to-day use of the S3 makes it the better device.

I know these two devices have been compared alot out there, but I thought I would add my two cents for anyone in the market for either of them. Of course, this is coming from personal experience and is reflective of only my opinion of everyday use of both devices. I'm sure others will have a different experience and opinion, so take mine with a grain of salt. And I'm not going to compare the hardware because that's easy enough to find on your own (and also because both devices are powerhouses). So I just want to give a real-world comparison of the devices.

So if you want to skip reading all of my comments and just hear the verdict, I can tell you that I started with the S3, then tried the DNA, and now I'm returning to my S3. While I believe any user will be happy with either device, I feel that the S3 is the overall better device.

Now onto the reasons why...

First and foremost, I was surprised by the lack of games available on the DNA. The 1080p screen is not supported by many developers (yet) so you cannot play Need For Speed, NBA Jams, nor even Doodle Jump on the DNA. That was a big disappointment.

The second disappointment was the Contacts/Phone functionality. I feel that the S3 makes it easier to navigate through your contacts and I really missed the swipe to dial/text functionality that the S3 offers. The DNA interface felt like it took forever to reach a contact and then dial or message. I'm fully aware that direct dial/message can be set up, but for the one time calls, it's way faster on the S3.

Also the lack of toggles in the pulldown-status bar is another ding against the DNA.

And while this is totally superficial, I feel that the design on the S3 is much more noticeable than the DNA, especially when you put your device in a case. Since I like to protect my devices with a TPU case, I found that the DNA just looks like a big, black candy bar without any character when put in a case. On the other hand, my white S3 still looks polished and distinctive in any case it's put in.

The last major flaw on the DNA is the charging port cover. This cover is probably the most annoying design flaw I've experienced on a phone. Thankfully the DNA battery life is AMAZING, so you don't have to play with the cover three times per day. I didn't realize how bad the S3 battery was until I started using the DNA. So if you're really concerned about battery, the DNA easily beats out the S3.

Another thing that the DNA beats the S3 on is the signal strength. I was really impressed with the DNA for holding cell signal in areas where my S3 typically drops calls.

And of course I have to comment about the feel of both devices in the hands. The S3 gets ribbed for feeling plasticy, and I don't disagree. But, the thinness of the S3 is amazing relative to the DNA. It just feels sleeker in the hand than the DNA. And it's noticeably lighter too. I'm not a big fan of the soft-touch material on the DNA either which tends to show finger prints and smudges easily.

Other than those differences, I think the devices are very comparable. The cameras are both adequate. The screens are both amazing (albeit the DNA is a bit crisper). And overall speed is great on either device.

So in summation, I feel that the DNA has a far superior battery, impressive signal strength, and a sturdier feel to it, but the overall day-to-day use of the S3 makes it the better device.

If you're not going to get dna I would recommend the note 2 instead of the s3

Back
Top Bottom