• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sales numbers??

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
Where can I find the sales figures for the more popular smartphones? I'd like to know how many mytouches have sold..and I'd also like to follow the sales figures for the Hero when it comes out, and compare them to other phones such as the Pre and iphone, etc. I googled, but couldn't find a good source for this info.

Where can I find the sales figures for the more popular smartphones? I'd like to know how many mytouches have sold..and I'd also like to follow the sales figures for the Hero when it comes out, and compare them to other phones such as the Pre and iphone, etc. I googled, but couldn't find a good source for this info.

I think you will find that this is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the consumer electronics industry ...

Why ? good question ... I have no good answer ... maybe they dont wont the competition to be able to use the numbers as a negative sales campaign . !!

Upvote 0
Never gonna happen if you want accurate figures. You would have to go to the manufacturers direct and then you would only get a vague figure at best. There are so many companies and retailers involved in the phone industry you would never compare like for like. Why do you need to know. Its not gonna help you choose the best phone. If that’s the case you really do have to find the best phone for you. Don’t follow the trends you'll find I will miss something important to you.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to base my decision on that, I've already pre-ordered the Sprint Hero so pretty much have made my decision.

It's just something I'm curious about and like to know. It's like some people get all in to the exact technical specs of a phone and would like to know all of that information on the leading phones. Me, the sales figures are more interesting. I'm probably most curious about the Pre and the Mytouch. The Pre because I followed that thing from January to the release date thinking I would get one, but then once I saw it in person there was no way. And the mytouch because that was the second Android phone to hit the US market and would like to know how well it's doing. And with the Hero that's supposed to be the best Android yet to hit the market, so I'd be curious about its sales.

Upvote 0
I too was following the Pre for a while but there were a few things that stopped me. First of all its the first generation of the device so had a strong possibility of being buggy, the app store will be in its infancy. The phone is being offered exclusively by a network called O2 in the UK and they already offer the iphone exclusively which i thought would kill the device in the number of users it had.

And then a friend got a HTC magic which is a great phone. Android is maturing nicely and some of the apps (my tracks in particular) really appealed to my life style. The hero was just the latest android available so I bought it on the strength of the magic.

In the UK its all about the contract you have with the network provider. You generally get the phone for nothing but have to sign up with the network for a long time 2 years in my case. I know in the US you generally buy the phone outright so it changes the way you think about the purchase.

I will say my hero is brilliant, it does everything i want and more (I had a Cybershot phone before). Googles app store is evolving all the time and Android is only going to get better from what I can tell. (not that its not brilliant already) The HTC interface seems to do all the things that excited me about the pre. The only change I would make would be to add a light or flash to the camera.
And you have already found the forum here, its full of people with really helpful relevant information.

I hope that helps and you enjoy the phone that’s on its way.

The sales figures im sure would have shown a lead to the Pre because its so new there will be a rush of people to try it. However that is not necessarily the whole story. Established Android users don’t need to buy the updated hardware as quick as all the old G1s are running the same android version as the newer phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones