• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsing Music Hub

Mar

Hi guys, I have searched for this subject but nothing relevant comes up so I thought I would quip in with what I think.

I first got a link installed on my phone with the first update. At first I was angry cause I couldn't uninstall the short-cut. It used to take me to the Samsung Apps page. There are a lot of bad reviews on there which say that it is not free and not worth downloading. I read the description and it is free for the basic features but you have to pay to get access to millions of steaming songs which is fair enough.

Anyway there is a free month try out period so I thought I would give it a go. I downloaded it, not so big and set up the account. You do need to enter credit card details to activate it but you get a free album of your choice and are not charged. Free album = bonus!!

Initially I didn't start the free period and just played around with it. It has a store where you can search and listen for 30 seconds for songs you like. Or buy them if you want. It can also play the songs you have on your SD card so not bad. Another music player.

Then I decided to try the full version. Got the free album and get store button changed to Catalogue. I can now stream any song I want without paying. It's actually pretty sweet. And there's a radio option where you can choose a genre and it plays related music. You can add any song you want to your Music list and then access it whether you are offline or online (can download to cache). Listening to radio, if you like a song you can tag it or add it to your music and so listen to it again as many times as you like.

Also another bonus feature is that you can now access the musichub player online. Any music you added to your playlists on the app appears on the website so you can listen to all your songs anywhere you are. You can also upload songs you own and listen to them anywhere.

Basically like spotify but with browser capabilities. and the price is the same, so I don't know why people gave it such bad reviews. Of course depends if you want to pay a price per month. I don't want to so at the end of the month all the music i didn't buy will disappear and I won't be able to access the web browser player which makes me sad but fair enough..

As a sidenote. The whole thing is powered by mspot which i checked out and it basically is a music cloud service which provides 5 GB of free storage and a free android app so you can upload your music and listen to it on the phone or browser. No streaming of catalogue songs, only the music you own, but it is still a sweet deal. I am gonna switch to that when my free subscription ends.

And of course I am waiting for google music to expand beyond the US so I can actually do all these things for free :)

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully you made it through!! I am not advertising it, I just really liked it!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I was curious about what this was like. I'm not really into subscription services though so I'll probably just listen to my collection and do spotify and rdio here and there.

Is the free album mp3 files? Can they be played in other music apps. I'd register for the free album if it is drm free mp3 files.

Google music is worse than iTunes with all the drm restrictions. I've never purchased mp3 s from an online music store. I have gotten them directly from record labels.

They are free mp3 files yes. You can plug your phone on your pc and just copy them wherever you like. The same with any songs you buy from their store. I think their store is powered by 7digital music. So basically they combined music cloud storage, music purchasing catalogue, online radio, webbrowser player and a music player to play the songs on your SD card. It is a sweet deal if you want to have a subscription deal. Or you can just use it as your music player for songs you already own and have a store for any purchases of DRM free music .

I even send them an email to ask if there was an option to download the music I bought from the webbrowser but they said just plug it in and copy it on your pc.

Google music has DRM protection? I didnt realise... You can still upload yours songs though and it matches them so you dont have to carry them in your SD card everywhere, right?

I'm pretty sure what you are saying about Google is true. As for DRM, IT IS definitely DRM protected. I downloaded some free songs, and they went in to a very deeply buried folder and are named with codes not titles.

I'll register for music hub for the free album. What bit rate are the mp3 files?

I'm pretty sure what you are saying about Google is true. As for DRM, IT IS definitely DRM protected. I downloaded some free songs, and they went in to a very deeply buried folder and are named with codes not titles.

I'll register for music hub for the free album. What bit rate are the mp3 files?

They are 320 Kbps.

Also just checked mSpot again (the service that powers Music Hub which was bought by Samsung) and it seems they are closing down in October. They even removed the app from google play. Missed it by a day! :( I am sure Samsung decided to pull the free services so they wouldn't have self-competition :( No more free 5 GB from that site... Anyone else can suggest a free music cloud player?

If you downloaded right to your device they change the file names and all like you said, but if you download from your browser they're pretty normal. There might be DRM there sure, but it's not as messy.

The free album deal is BS! it is from a ridiculous small list that you choose from. No thank you.

You expected a massive list? Most of the albums are alright. They are quite recent. I suppose it depends on your music preferences...

There is more info here on the website: http://www.musichub.com/music/faq.php

There is a small list of free albums which differ for each country and include:
Sunrise Avenue “On the Way to Wonderland” (Germany);
Paloma Faith “Do You Want the Truth of Something Beautiful?”(UK);
Anggun “Echos” (France);
CapaRezza “Epocalisse” (Italy);
Antonio Rey “Colores Del Fuego” (Spain);
Karmin “Hello” (USA)

An additional feature I found out: It has a widget and also a live wallpaper available. It shows your album art and they rotate when you change screens

Back
Top Bottom