• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy on5 does not fully turn on anymore

aieie

Hi,

I left my phone turned on and under charge overnight, and found it off in the morning with the battery at 95%, so not fully charged !?!?

Upon pressing the power button, the Samsung Galaxy on5 logo shows up, then it makes it to the next logo, SAMSUNG, but it remains stuck there. Sometimes it reaches the next logo, the one of the carrier (T-Mobile).
I googled and tried whatever I found recommended. Holding the three buttons volume-up, menu and power together I can access the Android Recovery screen. Upon trying to “wipe cache partition” I get a bunch of errors/warnings, like

E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)

E:can’t mount /cache/recovery/last_local

etc etc

I also attempted to “wipe data/factory reset” without success, but again a lot of errors, and nothing happens.

If I press together volume-down and power buttons, it says “Downloading - Do not turn off target”, but it does not go anywhere.

Note I once left the phone on on the carrier logo screen until the battery got empty, and then re-charged. I could get the battery to 100%. So I have no clue what is going on. The screen works, the battery works and recharges, is it a software issue? Can anyone suggest what to do next? Thanks in advance for your time!

Many thanks for your suggestion. That seems to require a Windows pc, a Mac would not work, is that right?

Thanks!
I am looking at https://www.androidblog.gs/download-jodin3-for-mac-osx/
I got two doubts.
1) How do I enable Developer Options and USB Debugging if my phone is irresponsive? From links like https://www.androidblog.gs/how-to-enable-developer-options-and-usb-debugging-on-android/ I evince that I need my phone on to access the settings
2) At a certain point at the uppermost link I read "locate the required .tar.md5 that you want to flash...". Is the .tar.md5 the file I need to install on the phone via computer? Where do I download it from?
Thank you!

If you're flashing with Odin, you don't need developer options or debugging. You boot the phone into Download Mode (or sometimes called Odin Mode).

You should be able to find your appropriate firmware file on sammobile.com. Make sure you type in your EXACT model number.

Thanks heaps!
The EXACT model number, as per backside of the phone under the battery, is SM-G550T. On the sammobile.com website they offer GALAXY ON5 (SM-G550T1) and GALAXY ON5 (SM-G550T2) though. Not sure what the final 1 and 2 mean. The only difference I spot is the Product Code (TMK and TMB, respectively), which reflects into different CSCs (I have no clue what a CSC is, but I see the PDA number is instead the same for the two options).

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-on5/SM-G550T1/TMK/download/G550T1UVU2AQC4/206346/
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-on5/SM-G550T2/TMB/download/G550T2UVU2AQC4/206400/

Also, in the Odin instructions on the right side of the pages of any of those two links, I read

" Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data."

Does that mean I can still hope to recover all that was on my phone before the crash?

Thanks!

I would take it that the HOME_CSC_ file will flash only the system partition and leave the user partition intact. If your intention is to keep your apps and data, then you should only flash the same version that was on your phone at the time of the crash. If you intention is to retrieve your data only (recommended) then I'd flash the "HOME" version, recover what you can and then flash the "CSC" version to overwrite everything and start fresh on the device.

I see, thanks for the tip.
Do you have any clue what the difference between the Product Codes TMK and TMB is?

Not definitively, but if you look at the difference in the descriptions, the G550T1 (TMK) simply says it's for the USA. The description for the G550T2 (TMB) notes T-Mobile, so it might be a carrier variant. Ether probably would work, but the T-Mobile version probably has something to enable their WiFi calling features. If you don't have T-Mobile as your carrier, I'd probably try the TMK version first.

Good catch! I had not figured out TMB stands for T-Mobile. I bought the phone from T-Mobile. Even though I am not in the States any longer and the phone is unlocked, G550T2 is probably the safest way to go. Thank you!

Sorry, it has been taking me ages to do this for multiple reasons, the main one being I do not feel confident with installing non-work related software on my business laptop.
Meanwhile I at least downloaded the firmware from SamMobile. I was shocked at the size: 1.42 GB. When I copy the md5 file to an USB stick though, I find the file to be only 2.4 MB. That does not make any sense to me, does it?

1.42 GB sounds right. Are you sure the download completed? Without signing up for thier fast download it will take hours on the metered connection.

I had a lot of troubles with downloading but finally I made it after upgrading to Bronze.
I now have the Samsung Galaxy on 5's USB driver, Odin3 v3.13, and the firmware. Shall I load at the same time all the corresponding files into the BL, AP, CP, CSC fields and hit start, or shall I do it one by one? Thank you!

Hey sorry, I could not help proceeding...
I filled all the fields, I figured out...
However, the process failed!
Below is the log file.
Any thought? Thanks!

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> skip file list for home binary
<ID:0/004> Home Binary Download
<ID:0/004> Total Binary size: 2704 M
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/004> sboot.bin
<ID:0/004> param.bin
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img
<ID:0/004> FAIL!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I'd follow the instructions on the Sammobile website:

• Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:
AP (System &Recovery)
BL (Bootloader)
CP (Modem / Radio)
CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)
HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)​

• Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  • Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo:
POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY
Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.
Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable
Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP
Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON
Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY​

• Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  • Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  • Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

This is going to sound silly, but try a different cable. The OEM if possible. Samsung phones are VERY VERY fussy with cables, especially when flashing.

Thanks for your prompt help!
I followed Sammobile website's instructions in the end. The first time I loaded HOME_CSC_TMB in the CSC field, as you recommended days ago. It failed.
Then I tried with CSC_TMB, but Odin could not set up connection. I killed it and unplugged the phone. Bad idea. The phone displayed "An error has occurred while updating the device software. Use the Emergency recovery function in the Smart Switch PC software.".
I switched the phone off, and repeated the whole process from scratch with HOME_CSC_TMB and again no success. Then this time I hit reset, and loaded CSC_TMB, but it looks like Odin does not like two sequential attempts of flashing and becomes irresponsive. After 5 minutes it is still trying to setup the connection.

I did use the original cable.

I read somewhere it is best to remove the SD card. I did that, but the process goes thru Boot, Param, Boot, Recovery and always fails at System.

Are you sure you are using the correct firmware?

You might try Samsung's Smart Switch emergency recovery option. You'll need to enter the serial number and IMEI for the phone, but it will match it against Samung's database and only let you download firmware that works on that model.

Thanks again for the new suggestion. I googled a bit, and it looks like Samsung Smart Switch is an app, is not it? I would download it on my laptop and then connect the phone to the laptop via USB. How would I then proceed? Will there be an interface guiding me to the download of the right firmware?

Shall I otherwise try the other firmware with Product Code TMK? I went for TMB because my phone's carrier was T-Mobile, although I am now outside the US and do not use the T-Mobile SIM card anymore.

Thanks!

Yes, Smartswitch is an application you install on your PC.

It is more than a utility to restore your phone, though as it covers moving from one device to another and backing up your current device. My understanding is that when you plug in a Samsung phone to a PC running smart switch, and the phone's firmware is damaged (or not found) it will immediately prompt you to recover the original firmware. Keep in mind that "original" doesn't mean what it shipped with, but what's current for your model.

Then you just follow the prompts. It will ask you for a serial number and the IMEI to look up what's right for your model. Then it's just a matter of letting it download and flash the firmware. Keep in mind, too that the original firmware is a large download and the flashing process might take a while.

I see, sounds like a must try.
One more clarification. Is this Smart Switch thing supposed to replace the Odin thing? And the firmware which I downloaded for Odin won't be needed any longer? Thanks!

Correct on both points. Smart switch will handle the communications between the PC and the phone. When you install Smart switch, you will also install the current drivers for connecting your phone so it's one less thing you need to be concerned with. As for Odn and the firmware you downloaded ... since it didn't work after a few tries, I have to conclude that it's the not right version for you phone, but why not wait to delete it until you get your phone working?

Back
Top Bottom