• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy s5V

Phone Model: SAMSUNG-SM-G900V

Hey everybody on the forums. I'm posting this because I can't find the answer to this question, but I am sure many people are wondering.

I have previously rooted my Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon. I have had it rooted for about a year now and have not updated my firmware because I have done so previously and it removes the root attached to my phone.

Is it possible to install a different device's software before rooting to allow the root to stay in effect after upgrading? Is there any sort of plan, software, or witchdoctor that I can use to upgrade from 4.2 to the current android versions while keeping my root capabilities?

Or should I get a generic Galaxy for Verizon service and root that?

Phone Model: SAMSUNG-SM-G900V

Hey everybody on the forums. I'm posting this because I can't find the answer to this question, but I am sure many people are wondering.

I have previously rooted my Samsung Galaxy S5 from Verizon. I have had it rooted for about a year now and have not updated my firmware because I have done so previously and it removes the root attached to my phone.

Is it possible to install a different device's software before rooting to allow the root to stay in effect after upgrading? Is there any sort of plan, software, or witchdoctor that I can use to upgrade from 4.2 to the current android versions while keeping my root capabilities?

Or should I get a generic Galaxy for Verizon service and root that?

There is no root at the moment for the Verizon carrier minority variant of the Galaxy S5 on Marshmallow. The latest rootable firmware is Android 5.0, Lollipop. So you could flash the stock firmware for PB1 and re-root that. See, NEW Verizon S5 Root for latest firmwares OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1.

Generic firmware from Samsung is all for the worldwide GSM phones which is not compatible with the old CDMA network that Verizon uses.

Last edited:
So when going through the instructions, it says to open Root.bat. That is to say, while your phone is connected to your computer while set up properly in developer options (See notes), but not while it is in a bootloader. So connect your phone after getting to this point, and boot up like normal (allowing time for the computer to recognize that it is fully connected). Once you have done that, open root.bat and it will take care of everything after that for this step.

I'm a little fuzzy after this. Any suggestions on how to decipher those instructions? I personally have a hard time reading them.

My phone is currently in bootloader awaiting instructions. I see that I need to flash the nk2 kernel next, but which one? There seems to be two available but no instructions on how to choose or where to find out and nowhere does it say to use both.

Last edited:
I managed to find a usable instructional video. In case anyone comes after me looking for this information, this is the video I used to help me administer the steps in the correct order, with visual aide.

Last edited:
Ironass, I really appreciate your patience with us numbskulls. I wonder, would a prerequisite to this be to update to the 6.0.1 in order to begin this process?

This guide seems to be a little incomplete. Flash the stock firmware, install twrp, then supersu? It just seems to me like there should be more to it.

Last edited:
The instructions for rooting are just to flash twrp and supersu. Every other source I have says that there is nothing for 6.0.1 on g900v.

The instructions for rooting are just to flash twrp and supersu. Every other source I have says that there is nothing for 6.0.1 on g900v.

You may be right TheShadowfox. That method was passed on to me by a poster on another forum and is a recognised method of rooting for some other S5 models. I do not have the Verizon model and therefore cannot check it out personally.

The link you provided is a fake, it provides no root at all. It does not even give you a recovery - it does a one time boot to twrp where you flash an app version of supersu that does nothing without a working root. The writer is a moron at best, and a criminal d@ss at worst. Read the comments below it. There are some new root methods used on Asian country phones so it is still being worked on. Also some Versions of the Version 900V can unlock the bootloader. The 11 series bootloader is not able to be unlocked. 15' Samsung eMMC is unlockable to allow custom roms. You can check this by reading the file /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
Just the first 2 numbers will tell you. 15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 11xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(my number of x's are random, just read the first 2) if it is 15 you can unlock if not you cant.

Now that information is out of the way. Is there any Root programs that give Marshmallow features to the 5.0 Verizon G900V stock with root?

The link you provided is a fake, it provides no root at all. It does not even give you a recovery - it does a one time boot to twrp where you flash an app version of supersu that does nothing without a working root. The writer is a moron at best, and a criminal d@ss at worst. Read the comments below it. There are some new root methods used on Asian country phones so it is still being worked on. Also some Versions of the Version 900V can unlock the bootloader. The 11 series bootloader is not able to be unlocked. 15' Samsung eMMC is unlockable to allow custom roms. You can check this by reading the file /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
Just the first 2 numbers will tell you. 15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 11xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(my number of x's are random, just read the first 2) if it is 15 you can unlock if not you cant.

Now that information is out of the way. Is there any Root programs that give Marshmallow features to the 5.0 Verizon G900V stock with root?
Android nify is an xposed app that provides n nougat features I think it works with lollipop

Back
Top Bottom