• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S9 SD Card Encryption - Really???

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S9 +. I decided to use my old SD card from my S5 because there was no problems reading or writing to it. A few weeks later, I decided to encrypt the SD card. No problem, the S9 confirmed that the SD card was indeed encrypted, and all was well in my encrypted little world.

Or so I thought. A few weeks after I encrypted the SD card, I decided to take it out of the phone and pop it into my laptop computer just to confirm data encryption. I was SHOCKED that even though the Galaxy S9 + said that my SD card was encrypted, I could see EVERY folder, sub folder and file on the “encrypted” SD card!

EVERY folder was there and readable. Every subfolder was there and readable. Every file was “visible”!

I checked if I could open the end file in a folder, and was not able to.

Still, I am shocked and surprised that Samsung, actually I am shocked that ANYONE would consider a drive/disk that you could see every folder, and folder in that folder, and filename in those folders encrypted!

What if a Samsung Galaxy S9+ was stolen or lost, OR, what if someone at work or even a family member took a phone and popped out the SD card and put it in their computer, imagine what they may find just by looking at the folder and file names? They do NOT have to open the actual end file to find out so much about you.

What if your "encrypted SD card" file structure was like this:

Medical > Cancer Screening > Test Results > MakingAWill.doc
Local Funeral Homes.htm
Survivor Benefits. pdf

Does it really matter that you can't open or read "MakingAWill.doc" or "Local Funeral Homes.htm" ???

No! What good is a so called encrypted drive if you can just pop out the SD card and view all the folder and file names?

Where is the security!???

Has anyone else tested this and verified their SD card / expanded memory encryption? Can you read the file and folder names / file system? Have you tested YOUR SD card encryption by removing it from your phone and viewing it in your computer?

Samsung REALLY needs to address this. This is a huge privacy and security issue.

Does anyone have any information on this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones