• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung launches the Galaxy J1 (2016) in Canada for $150

With more and more budget devices hitting the market, Samsung figures to jump in on the party with the Galaxy J1. The device features a 4.5 Super AMOLED display, 1.3GHz Exynos quad-core processor, 1GB of ram, 5MP rear-facing camera, 8GB of expandable memory, and a 2,050mAh battery.

The J1 won't make any waves, but it's good to see another somewhat decent option make its way into the budget market. The device is being released in Canada and is available off-contract from Telus for only $150.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recently bought this phone. I was using a Nexus 5, I love it, when the screen got cracked. Totally my fault. Anyway, my bf bought me a BLU 4.0 for $57 from Amazon. Cheap. But holy heck it was sloooooooower than molasses in January. That being said, God bless his heart, we went to the flea market and he paid another $80 only to have the glass part of the lcd screen so flimsy that the slightest pressure on it from my hand cracked and then shattered it.

So I went back tot eh BLU. Ughness, it was brutal, very slow texting and calls is all it was good for. That being said, I was in Costco with my older brother because he bought a new ACER phone and I tried using it and it was lighting fast compared to my BLU. He paid $99.99 for it. But when I got to Costco, I saw the Samsugn Galaxy J1 for $139.99. I was like...oh wow. So I bit the bullet and bought it. One of the best phones I have ever had. No it's not an S7 or comparable to the S series at all. But for the price, actually getting a Samsung phone for this price is amazing.

I love it. The only complaint that I have is the memory. Even having a memory card in it, only certain things can be stored on the card. That being said, 4.66 gb of the 8 that is on it, is being chewed up by Samsung "Stuff". So I am looking around for a good rooting app to root this sucker because I want this useless Samsung apps stuff gone.

Other than that, it is a GREAT phone. I love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones