• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung S7 Edge Video and Photo Quality?

TheShe

Lurker
May 31, 2016
Hi everyone

I've had the LG G4 for a while and am generally very happy with it but I'm getting tempted by the Samsung S7 edge, with it's nicer design and amazing specs. My concerns are: -
- In the video clips I've seen, the S7 edge looks quite jumpy and not very sharp when filming anything that isn't close up (close up is clearly amazing) - have people who own them actually had an issue with this or is it just the youtube clips? It looks like you can see the software working to sharpen the image and therefore takes away from it looking like a natural image .
- The photos don't seem to be as sharp - again what have owners found with the photo quality esp when zooming in?
- Is the Samsung easy to break or is it just the same as any other phone?
- Is the Note coming out in a few months time going to surpass it?
- Are there any annoyances people have with the S7 Edge that I should be aware of!!

Just wanted to find out people's thoughts.

Thanks

1. An update has been recently released to address this issue apparently. I don't really so videos so I can't say if it occurs on all.
2. The auto settings in the camera is aggressive at post processing, so it comes out like that. However, shooting it in RAW mode produces amazing photos at the cost of huge file sizes. Plus a 12mp camera really probably wont be as sharp as a 16mp one once you really zoom in, despite having an overall better photo quality when looking at the whole thing.
3. Depends on break. It's easier to break the glass back of course, compared to the LG G5's metal back. If you mean break by make it unusable, nah, same as others.
4. The Note 7 will likely have a bigger battery, a bigger screen, and an updated processor, but nothing that will say it will greatly surpass the S7Edge. It will be a bit better, but not that much. Unless you really need the SPen, you may not bother with it if you want a phone now. If you can wait, it's fine. The S7 will be cheaper then.
5. You need to learn to hold a different way. You can't wrap your hand around the edges anymore because of the wrap around screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Decrease in megapixel from 16 to 12 will probably not make a noticeable difference without an amazing lense on the camera. Unless you are using an ultra high quality lens, the only substantial difference will be the amount of disk space each photo uses up. We are better off with 12mp IMHO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I can say is that I took this picture just now using my brand spankin' new S7 in pro mode. Let the image speak for itself.
30168c02979a6356854c47065f9dcdef.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi everyone

I've had the LG G4 for a while and am generally very happy with it but I'm getting tempted by the Samsung S7 edge, with it's nicer design and amazing specs. My concerns are: -
- In the video clips I've seen, the S7 edge looks quite jumpy and not very sharp when filming anything that isn't close up (close up is clearly amazing) - have people who own them actually had an issue with this or is it just the youtube clips? It looks like you can see the software working to sharpen the image and therefore takes away from it looking like a natural image .
Facebook resizes or does something to make the video smaller and it makes it worse... I don't know if YouTube does the same?
As for pics, it does pretty darn good and why I bought the phone. Here are a couple samples:

This was right before the sun came up at Gig Harbor with Mt Rainer, WA
S7edgeCompare2-1200.jpg

This one was last week at Takhlaka Lake, with Mt Adam, WA
+TakhlakLake-1200.jpg

Reactions: freakshow85
Upvote 0
Personally, I've been extremely happy with the camera on the phone. Fast focusing, great quality. So, as far as comparing it to my last phone, the S5, I can probably take 5 in focus pictures with the S7 before I can get 1 possibly focused pictures to be taken, saved, and ready to shoot again on the S5.

Other than that, I'm not a pro with cameras. But I do have an eye for stuff like that. I can just say the pictures look great, and I know for certain the camera actually gets focus abs takes the shot way, way faster than any other phone I've used. Practically as fast as you can tap.

Upvote 0
Strange... mine stays in Pro mode.
That's strange. You're the first one I've seen to have that behavior

How do you make the camera start in pro mode by default? Mine keeps going back to Auto mode every time I exit and re-enter the camera app. thanks
You can add a shortcut to pro mode on the homescreen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones