• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SAMSUNG SE-218BB DVD Drive

chev64

Just bought the Samsung SE-218BB DVD drive and can't figure out how to make it work on the TF101.
Has anybody got this to work on the TF101?

You need drivers. Good luck, I haven't seen any anywhere for Android. Would be really awesome to watch DVDs on the tablet!!

(I have an Iomega external DVD that doesn't work either.)

Check this out.

A: This question prompted me to look more into the Samsung Optical Smarthub I wrote about on my website this week.

http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/09/samsung-optical-smarthub-se-208bw-review-wifi-dvd-drive-part-1/

The smarthub doesn't actually let you transfer your movie over, however, it does enable you to watch DVDs directly on your iPad or other Apple/Android device.

As I mentioned in the review article, for a quick movie-watching session, it works well. When you actually get it to work, it does what it is supposed to do, but that is basically where it ends.

Pausing it for a fridge-run and then continuing when you get back is a hit and miss. Sometimes it continues, but other times, it freezes and you have to start from the beginning finding your position.

If you switch DVDs, it's best to reboot the drive, because the build-in buffer can cause some long waiting when you try and access the new DVD.

At the $40, I do think it is worth the price for what it does, but if you want to put your DVDs on a tablet of some sort, even picking up a used computer for $100 or so will be a lot more useful. Aside from being able to convert your movies with something like DVD Catalyst, so that you can transfer them over, you can also keep your video file collection on the computer drive for whenever you need them, and by copying the actual files over to your device, you don't need Wifi in order to watch the movie, which makes it a more portable experience.

Back
Top Bottom