• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung SM-J120W stuck in FRP lock

Hi guys!

I got a very stupid problem here. Spent days on trying to find a solution, but all in vain. Looks like nobody has ever ran into this one.

So I have a Samsung J1, a SM-J120W. I successfully rooted it a few days ago. That's when I first met this stupid FRP lock thing. It didn't allow Odin to upload a new bootloader. Then I read that you have to disable and remove all the Google accounts from your phone to disable it. This indeed worked, TWRP Recovery started immediately, the rootkit was uploaded, and everything seemed fine. The phone worked and it was rooted. I re-added my Google account to it after rooting. Of course I did, how else would I use it?

I rebooted the phone a few days later. Instead of restarting, this crap halted at the boot screen, displaying "Custom binary blocked by FRP lock." Nothing is working any more, not even the recovery menu. I can enter download mode (Odin mode), but Odin can't do anything, the FRP blocks any attempt to upload binaries.

I tried KIES to override this shit. But of course KIES is a piece of shit itself and it crashes all the time. It can not connect to the phone in download mode (Odin can), it just displays "Connecting..." forever, not doing anything.

I tried "Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation". It also crashed a number of times, right as I typed in the model number as requested. After a lot of tinkering - setting it to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode, running it as Administrator, editing config files and removing references to 4.0 runtime from KIES .config files - I managed to get to the point where it downloads the firmware, but it crashes then and there, and there is no way through.

If you watch this video, it shows exactly what I am trying to do. I am stuck at 2:10. That's where KIES stops responding.

Any further ideas how to get KIES working? I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

I also tried Wondershare MobileGo, but it cant' connect to the phone. It says USB debugging mode must be enabled. Obviously it doesn't recognize that the device is in download mode.

I believe Kies is discontinued and no longer supported, and Smart Switch is. And FWIW, I never had much luck with Kies myself in the past. One thought, using 64bit Windows could be the problem with it, things like driver compatibility. I've only ever used 32bit Windows, or Macs mostly myself.

Have you tried flashing the complete stock firmware with Odin?
You mentioned trying to flash the bootloader and trying to upload binaries.

Back