• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Save the Children

Rgarner

Android Expert
That's the name of the charity. Apparently they have a program which involves donating time read instead of money. I could do that. What I want to know is if this would actually do some good or if it's just another scam.

That's the name of the charity. Apparently they have a program which involves donating time read instead of money. I could do that. What I want to know is if this would actually do some good or if it's just another scam.

Do you have any more information about this? I know the Save the Children charity. And the only thing I can find on their website is about donating money, not this "time read" or whatever it is. www.savethechildren.org.uk/

Where did you see this? Save the Children is a legitimate charity and they may very well have a reading/story-time kind of program. Maybe helping kids who are behind learn how to read or just read books to little ones who can't read yet. If you have any doubts--and I would, depending on where I saw it--just contact the real Save the Children organization and ask.

BTW, there are probably many other reading programs in your area--there always have been here in SoCal. I remember being at my favorite place, the main library in Pasadena, as a child and seeing adults with a bunch of eager little kids sitting around them having a book read to them. There are programs that adults can participate in to help children and adults (like people who didn't learn to read in school, people who are learning English as a second language, etc.) learn to read or improve their reading skills, and also storytelling programs like I mentioned above for little kids. It doesn't have to be Save the Children--if you're interested in doing this, it should be really easy to find programs in your area. And it's a *wonderful* thing to do. :)

I remember the Save The Children thing, as well as some others.

"For just the price of a cup of coffee each day, you can feed 'insert ethnic name here' the nutrition he desperately needs..."

Unfortunately, all that seems to have happened is that enough people were fed long enough to reproduce.
Now we are asked to feed them and their children, and the children of those children.

I am not saying that the whole thing was a scam, only that the end result wound up being more hungry people than there were before.

I guess you've got a point. However, I think that many people would like to limit the number of children they have. Family planning should probably be more widely available.

I remember the Save The Children thing, as well as some others.

"For just the price of a cup of coffee each day, you can feed 'insert ethnic name here' the nutrition he desperately needs..."

Unfortunately, all that seems to have happened is that enough people were fed long enough to reproduce.
Now we are asked to feed them and their children, and the children of those children.

I am not saying that the whole thing was a scam, only that the end result wound up being more hungry people than there were before.
I definitely see the the point you're making, but the thing is, those people were *dying* of starvation and diseases caused by drinking water that wasn't good. Babies were dying of diarrhea. Can you imagine a baby here in the US dying from diarrhea? And then multiply that by thousands? And all because of dirty water?

Yes those places recovered enough thanks to help from various organizations that they're producing more children, but they're nowhere CLOSE to overpopulating the world like we are. They're essentially replacing themselves; they're not adding 10 or 20 kids per family.

I'm not up-to-date on any actual statistics and wouldn't be able to defend my statements with facts, but just from what I recall hearing in the past, what I've stated is correct. Also, I believe that Save the Children is one of the highest-ranked charities in terms of how it uses its donations.

I definitely see the the point you're making, but the thing is, those people were *dying* of starvation and diseases caused by drinking water that wasn't good. Babies were dying of diarrhea. Can you imagine a baby here in the US dying from diarrhea? And then multiply that by thousands? And all because of dirty water?

Yes those places recovered enough thanks to help from various organizations that they're producing more children, but they're nowhere CLOSE to overpopulating the world like we are. They're essentially replacing themselves; they're not adding 10 or 20 kids per family.

I'm not up-to-date on any actual statistics and wouldn't be able to defend my statements with facts, but just from what I recall hearing in the past, what I've stated is correct. Also, I believe that Save the Children is one of the highest-ranked charities in terms of how it uses its donations.

I become frustrated when the same countries that were starving 30+ years ago are still starving today.

Just like industry or politics, you cannot just whip it into a third world country and expect great results.
The mass majority of the effort must be made by the native people, or else the mass majority of it will go to waste.

I guess you've got a point. However, I think that many people would like to limit the number of children they have. Family planning should probably be more widely available.

Unfortunately, going down that route you will eventually end up with eugenics.

The name makes me worry! "Save the Children" reminds me of a video I watched once, where a woman was able to steal someone else's account on a cell phone carrier by calling support and playing a recording of a crying baby. Fortunately, that woman was a security auditor, and was authorized by the actual account owner to test his account's security.

Point is: Crying babies, saying "save the children": Things like that are used by bad guys to play on your good nature.

Back
Top Bottom