• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screenshot vs Capture

markdoc

Android Expert
This is new for Android 9. Before 9, Capture was different than a Screenshot. The screenshot was just that, a picture of your screen. Capture had the ability to edit the picture of your screen by cropping, drawing, adding text and other things. Since the update to 9, Screenshots have the same ability. After taking a screenshot, just wait a few seconds and popup will appear in the lower right of your screenshot. Tap on the "pencil" and you get the same tools as a "Capture". It is really handy. (I used a screenshot of a screenshot to show the popup. The arrow is from the Photo Editor app.)
Screenshot_20190616-183617.png

So?

People usually want the screenshot to justify or prove something that must be original, unedited. If you edit the screenshot it's useless.

So?

People usually want the screenshot to justify or prove something that must be original, unedited. If you edit the screenshot it's useless.

Sorry you don't use it for anything else. I beta test software and use it a lot to show problems. Also when someone finds a glitch on their phone, if they send a screenshot with the glitch circled, its easier to explain. And even if it is for documentation, sometimes you don't want to show the entire screen if it has private information in an unnecessary area. Then you can crop the screenshot. If you knew about it or don't want to use it, that's fine with me. But there might be other people that didn't know and can use it.

Sorry you don't use it for anything else. I beta test software and use it a lot to show problems. Also when someone finds a glitch on their phone, if they send a screenshot with the glitch circled, its easier to explain. And even if it is for documentation, sometimes you don't want to show the entire screen if it has private information in an unnecessary area. Then you can crop the screenshot. If you knew about it or don't want to use it, that's fine with me. But there might be other people that didn't know and can use it.

You made some valid points.

Back
Top Bottom