• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card apparently write protected on my Samsung Galaxy J7

Sep 18, 2016
Okay, a bit of a back story here...

Some while back, I had imported a handful of ringtones onto my Android phone, moved over from my Windows machine via USB cable, and then I set some of my contacts to use one of those ringtones. Some while since then, I was running out of storage space on my phone, so I placed onto my phone a name brand, higher-grade SD card that I had bought at... I want to say Walmart, but its been awhile. I then installed an app called Files To SD Card and used that to move as much from the internal storage over to the larger SD card. That seemed to solve the problem, but now I'm back to the built in memory being almost full.

Anyway, today I was trying to track down why those ringtones were no longer showing up as set for those particular contacts, the contacts had all reverted to the default ringer. I tried to set the ringer back to one or the other of the imported ringtones, but then discovered it wasn't listing ANY of the ringtones I'd installed, just the came-with-the-phone ones. I then did a bit of poking around online to determine what might have happened.

Anyway, for some reason the ringtones are in the root dir of the SD card, which isn't really an issue I suppose, but I discovered that somehow a .nomedia file had been placed into the root... which, well, it's not supposed to be THERE far as I understand it, but clearly this .nomedia file was what was preventing the ringtones from being seen by the system. I said to myself, "Okay, I'll just go delete that from Windows" and I plugged the phone in via USB, selected the .nomedia file and invoked delete. And it then complained that it couldn't complete this action because of write-protection, please turn the write protection off and try again. I wasn't really sure if this was referring to the file, or to the SD card. In any event, I tried to delete the .nomedia file via the phone itself, and that failed too. This is both using the My Files app (with the showing of hidden files enabled) provided by Samsung, and using ES File Explorer, installed today. Both TRY to remove the file, but then give a message saying it failed.

In any event, to determine once and for all if this was the FILE that was write protected, or the MEDIA that was, I decided to try copying a text file named Testing 123.txt over from the PC to the phone, and of course, that failed too.

I have made no changes to the SD card, and it hasn't been out of the phone since I originally installed it, so it isn't a case of me (or someone else? Oo) having pulled it out and changed a write-protect tab on it or something. On one forum post I came across while trying to track the problem down, describing the same cannot-delete-.nomedia problem I was having, one of the comments was that not being able to delete it as "...a sign the SD card is in the first stages of failing." Wait.... whut...?!? oO

Where do I go from here? This is exasperating.

Okay, as for what I've done using Files To SD Card, I was under the impression that that app was devised to move the location some parts of Android store their files, and the location some of the apps store their files, over to the SD card so that now they operate from the SD card. Would those have reverted back to placing those onto the internal storage? I.e., if I pull the SD card back out, will it bork things, or will things just continue on as if I'd never moved those files in the first place? And if the former... what would be the prospects of cloning the SD card onto another same-capacity SD card?

Anyway, its strange that a big-name-brand SD card would be failing after only a couple of years. Oo

Upvote 0
Okay, as for what I've done using Files To SD Card, I was under the impression that that app was devised to move the location some parts of Android store their files, and the location some of the apps store their files, over to the SD card so that now they operate from the SD card. Would those have reverted back to placing those onto the internal storage? I.e., if I pull the SD card back out, will it bork things, or will things just continue on as if I'd never moved those files in the first place? And if the former... what would be the prospects of cloning the SD card onto another same-capacity SD card?

Anyway, its strange that a big-name-brand SD card would be failing after only a couple of years. Oo

No matter how good a products supposed to be you're always going to find a lemon in one of them.

Upvote 0
That still doesn't answer my other question, though: My understanding was that one of the purposes of the Files To SD Card app, having moved some apps-related function files and Android-OS-related function files (i.e. config files and the like) to the SD card, was that they'd now run from the SD card. With the SD card having gone write-protected... will the system have gone back to having those apps and stuff write all their function files onto internal memory again (i.e. not the SD card), such that they've now migrated their settings folders back to the phone's internal memory and are now ignoring the version of their respective settings files that are on the SD card, or are they still dependent on the ones on the SD card?

To put it another way: If I simply remove the SD card and leave the phone running without it, will those apps stop working, or will they simply continue to work as normal?

As for other sorts of files stored to the SD card... about the only thing that's not apps-internal-workings-related on there is some pictures taken with the built in camera, which are generally backed up to the cloud, some other images auto-synced onto the phone from one or more other devices I have (and those also go to the cloud), and those ringtones I imported. The ringtones are also still on my Windoze PC that I originally moved them over from. So, yeah, no important-to-me files exist only on the phone, so if the SD card completely stops working, I won't have lost anything... other than MAYBE the apps break.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones