• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card swap question

hybucket

I have a 16GB Galaxy 5 with an 8 GB SD card, which is close to full. I would like to replace that 8GB card with a 32GB. The current SD card has mostly music on it, but there is other stuff on there, like a folder for Android with a bunch of Data subfolders, and some other folders, which appear to be empty. I think that the way to do this is to move all of the SD card onto my laptop and then re-install it on a new card. Is this correct? Would this screw up any of the stuff currently on the device itself? And would I add the stuff from my computer onto the card DIRECTLY, or thru the phone connected to the computer? A dummies' question, perhaps, but I want to get it right.

use an adapter to plug the SD card into a PC.

copy all the files from the SD card to a folder on the PC.

then on the new SD card, copy everything verbatim from the PC's folder to the SD card.

it is important that the file structure remain the same.

Thanks - any preference in SD cards? SanDisk vs. Samsung? I had a SanDisk a few years ago that lost everything on it after a couple of months. Just wondered if that was a fluke...

Back
Top Bottom