• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SDcard issues

MikeC77

Lurker
Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I have rooted my Boost Mobile HTC 510. After the root process the first thing I wanted to do was partition the sdcard.. The card is a SanDisk Ultra 16 gig, with less that a gig of data on it, leaving 15 gig free. I booted into recovery and attempted (many times) to partition the sdcard through TWRP. Regardless of what size I try to make the partition it fails claiming that my selected partition size is larger than available space on the card (which is defiantly not true) .. I know I can partition it manually, so I wasn't too concerned.

Next I wanted to do a back up (again through twrp) this too fails, claiming not enough space on the sdcard (again this cant be true)
I'm sure i'm missing something simple, but cant figure it out.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Card works fine in normal OS and show 14 gig available. I'm actually impressed with how many apps are now moveable. It's already a huge improvement! I bought the card new from Radio Shack a few months ago. Hasn't given me any problems before

Ok, just wanted to make sure the card wasn't faulty/fake. If it's been bought from a reputable retailer, it's probably fine. :)

I'll move this to the Desire 510 forum, see if folks who own the device have any suggestions.

Memory is cheap enough...I might just go out and purchase another sdcard just to see if the card is infact the culprit.

OK. I figured out the issue with backing up. I previously overlooked the option in recovery to change where the backup would be saved. By default it was set to internal storage. Switched to the SDcard and POW!! Now lets see if I can figure out the portioning.

Yeah, I was just messing with TWRP for my device and see there's an option for selecting where you want to put your backup.

I take it you want to partition for Links2SD or similar?

I think I may have figured this out. To partition the sd card manually i attempted to you use the build in sd card reader on my laptop using a sd to micoSD adapter, but for the life of me i could not get windows to recognize the SD card. Fine....Booted into linux. Same problem.
Took a closer look at the SD card and realized it's a SDHC. My built in reader does not support SDHC over 2 gig, explaining why i'm having problems with the card and the pc.

Does it make since to assume that TWRP also doesn't support SDHC because it works fine through the OS, but cant access the card through Recovery?

EDIT: Not True....I was able to write to the SD card when in recovery.

What's the card currently formatted in? FAT32?

If the phone reads it no problem, there's an app on Play called Aparted which looks to allow you to format it whilst still in the OS as opposed to recovery. You could give that a go?

Yes, It's Fat32.
I checked out Aparted earlier. It partions, but only in Fat32. I think for best results with Link2SD it needs to be EXT4

Update:
I was wrong about Apated. It does exactly what I was trying to accomplish. It very easily partitions SD cards and formats the second partition in any format you like (FAT/EXT/ect..)
That said, Link2SD (and other apps) has not been able to mount the second ext4 partition, but link2sd still does a great job of moving and linking files to the first partition.
I have plenty of room to install anything/everything I want.

Besides link2SD, I uninstalled updates for all the apps I wanted to uninstall but couldn't, then I turned updates off for those apps. That frees up a lot of room.

Last edited:
Just to update a little there is a new kernel that lets you write to the SD card. It's over @ xda write by rbheromax and friends. If you need I'll post a link over here. Honestly I'm pretty impressed with the improvement and think it's worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom