• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeking developer

treii28

Lurker
I have a couple of simple, personal projects that could use a companion app on android and possibly also on ios. The needs of these aren't too complex, but just complex enough to be causing me troubles trying implement them.

Example from first project, I need something that will work as a 'virtual geocache' client app.
It needs to include [at least] 3 basic form/settings fields that are stored including a person's name, a unique userid or user-code (possibly obtainable remotely from an online server push, but not 100% necessary) and a comment field of about 100 characters give-or-take.
The primary function is going to be to have a mode the user can turn on/off that will occasionally scan local wifi SSIDs looking for either a specific prefix or a specific suffix (whatever works best). Upon seeing one, it will attempt to sign into it (either as an open wifi or using a pre-determined access method - more than likely open as the devices will not be connected to the internet at large), then when it can verify the device is a legitimate 'target' device for the app, notify the user and give them the option of transferring the three stored fields.
It will be talking to ESP8266 type devices with a simple web interface including a restful/json engine capable of handling the exchanges of info and storing the user logins. The remote devices will limit the sign-ins based on a time interval, so any app should be at least rudimentarily able to translate responses and/or keep track of devices it has seen and signed into recently.

That's about it. I tried getting these devices to do a captive-portal notification, but android and ios have 'changed the rules' in their code base such that the older recommended methods for triggering the pop-up no longer work from these little devices. Thus putting a geocache somewhere is only 'usable' by the average user if they have prior instructions on how to access the sign-in page via their browser. Thus having an app to do the dirty-work for them would make them far more usable.

Back
Top Bottom