• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Selecting multiple individual text messages for copying or deleting:

Let me clarify the specifics of my question: I know I can delete one individual text message; I also know I can select an individual conversation and delete that entire conversation.

But what I want to do is to select multiple individual text messages within one conversation and then be able to delete just those certain individual messages (rather than having to delete the entire conversation, or else having to select each individual message one-at-a-time). I sometimes desire to be able to select multiple messages within a conversation in order to copy their text and paste into another app.

Is any of this possible? Maybe with an "after-market" texting app?

Thanks!!!!

If you use an app like SMS Backup & Restore, the backup is in xml format. If you learn to read that (even if you need a tutorial it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to figure it out - it's text with a few tags added to it - <tag> is the start of a tag [named tag in this case] and </tag> is the end of that tag) you can do anything you want with the backup, then delete all your texts and restore the modified backup.

I can't answer specifically w/o knowing what texting app you are using. However, in the ones I have expereince with, you long-press the first one and then just tap the other ones. You should see them highlight after you select them, then just tap the delete button or menu item.

Thank you very much, gentlemen:

Rukbat, I understand what you're suggesting, and I can see using that in more extreme circumstances.

Mr. Lucky, you're right, my "stock" android texting app does exactly that, with the only difference being that once I've selected any additional texts after the first one the menu selection option disappears, leaving only the delete and the "lock" icon...which obviously is ok for deleting, but occasionally (as I mentioned) I find myself wishing I could copy/paste multiple sequential texts, in which case still having the menu option would be needed. Any thoughts on that - am I not updated properly, or something?

Thanks!!!

You have the exact same issue I do. I'm using the Messaging Android App that came with SlimKat 4.4.4 for Galaxy S3.

Still looking for instructions or third party apps that can delete selected messages in a conversation.

Back
Top Bottom