• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Selet All/Delete Google Mail ON MY PHONE

monicakm

Android Enthusiast
Is there a way to select all the email messages with a "Select All" (Google acct) and do a mass delete? There's GOT to be but I've searched high and low and can't find it. It wasn't a problem till I rejoined a photography group. I went from about 10 emails a day to 100+ I'd rather not stop my Google mail from downloading to my phone. I know how to do it on line, was hoping there's an option on my phone.
Thanks!

I couldn't believe the answer was "no," so I googled the crap out of the issue, and it appears that the answer is, in fact, "no, and we can't believe it either."

Seems the best suggestion on how to deal with this is to become a pro at using labels and filters. I don't really mind all of my emails syncing to my phone, but I don't want to be alerted to it -- so I just have my "priority inbox" as my main gmail box, and that's the only one I have set to give me notifications. (Then, when I'm bored, I'll take a look at what's in the general inbox.)

I'm not a big ol' filtering pro, but here's gmail help on it: Using filters - Gmail Help

It looks like you could pretty easily set up a filter to send all your photography group email to a separately labelled folder (say, Photography Group) and then have those emails skip the inbox. Then, from your phone, don't sync the Photography Group stuff (or, if you're like me, sync it, but turn off notifications).

Thanks Adara. I'm bummed that it's not possible but relieved to know I wasn't so dumb I couldn't figure it out :)
I might just stop my phone from downloading my email. I've lived 53 years without it, it can't be that big of a deal. It's not like I'm at work all day and need to check it. I'm at home with a laptop and a desktop. And I don't have the notifications on. That would drive me crazy!
Thanks for the filtering link. I'll check it out. I appreciate your help :)
Monica

I would just set up a new Gmail account on your phone such as Monica.email.list@Gmail.com and then turn off notifications for that account only. Then your normal email will be totally unaffected.

It's very easy to switch and view the other accounts emails in the Gmail app. There is plenty of storage so I would just leave the picture emails on the Google server and delete once a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom