• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Seriously, why is this phone so rocky?

k9rosie

I mean in performance, the phone has everything it needs to be a VERY fast phone, and to people to think this phone doesn't have a dedicated GPU, I found this.
800 MB Processor.

I was looking my mother's Nexus S and that phone was very snappy. I ran a linpack score and it only got 12, yet still the fasted phone I've held in a while?

WHY?

Only 256MB of RAM is the problem. You might be saying, so what? Well, theses phones need at least around 200-215MB to run the basic services on the phone, which causes the multitasking to suffer HEAVILY. It is almost impossible to run more than 2 of your apps (other than native services) without a ridiculous slowdown. And widgets? Forget about it. Those can be even more taxing on memory.

How difficult would it be for Samsung to increase the RAM to 512Mb? Is the footprint/pinout common among the 256MB and 512MB RAM chips? Would this just be a hardware change or would it require some software changes as well?

Only 256MB of RAM is the problem. You might be saying, so what? Well, theses phones need at least around 200-215MB to run the basic services on the phone, which causes the multitasking to suffer HEAVILY. It is almost impossible to run more than 2 of your apps (other than native services) without a ridiculous slowdown. And widgets? Forget about it. Those can be even more taxing on memory.

How difficult would it be for Samsung to increase the RAM to 512Mb? Is the footprint/pinout common among the 256MB and 512MB RAM chips? Would this just be a hardware change or would it require some software changes as well?

It would require software and hardware tweaks.

Not entirely true. In fact, it wasn't until Android 2.2 that Android supported devices with more 256 MB. Which is why then Samsung manufactured this phone, they were planning to keep Android 2.1, and 2.1 didn't support RAM measurements over 256 MB, so if they implemented 512 MB of RAM into the Transform, you would have all of this extra RAM not going anywhere.

Android Developer Website said:
2.6.32 kernel upgrade

HIGHMEM support for RAM >256MB
SDIO scheduling and BT improvements

Back
Top Bottom