• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Service help

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
I recently just bought a nexus 5 on craigslist just to find out when I got home the imei was blacklisted on T-Mobile ( coming from nexus 4). Seeing as how I paid good money for the phone & can't reach the previous owner, can I activate it on a CDMA network like Verizon or sprint instead? It is not carrier locked, its just blacklisted on T-Mobile (who shares blacklist with at&t) thanks in advance!

I recently just bought a nexus 5 on craigslist just to find out when I got home the imei was blacklisted on T-Mobile ( coming from nexus 4). Seeing as how I paid good money for the phone & can't reach the previous owner, can I activate it on a CDMA network like Verizon or sprint instead? It is not carrier locked, its just blacklisted on T-Mobile (who shares blacklist with at&t) thanks in advance!
I don't think there is a way around blacklisted devices, unless the bill is paid off by the previous owner I believe

Kate is right. Even if the phone would initially register, it would eventually cease to function when T-mobile's updated blacklist reaches the other carriers. If the phone was sold to without restriction, then I would seek other means to return it. Not sure what CL policy is, but if you paid via credit card or paypal, you do have some options.

Not sure what CL policy is, but if you paid via credit card or paypal, you do have some options.

Craigslist is essentially like a garage sale - you meet in person and almost always pay cash. OP is likely stuck with it.

For Craigslist I always recommend: Meet your seller at the phone store and have them verify it's in good standing and not stolen. Then have the phone transferred into your name while the seller is still there, after that they can't report it stolen.

Back
Top Bottom