• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting my S5 AT&T to WiFi Calling

bobinyelm

I live in a poor cell reception area and have has an AT&T Mini Cell Tower for some time.

It was very slow on images with text with my Galaxy S5, but otherwise OK.

That phone developed issues so I bought a brand new sealed in box S5, and swapped my SIM Card and used Smart Switch to move most all of my data (though some apps had to be reloaded on my new phone).

The new phone is OK with text won't send images via text (the process arrow just keeps circling forever), so I decided to activate "WiFi Calling," but when I followed the instructions, my NEW phone did not offer that option.

This is what I did to TRY to access it:
1) Tap Phone Symbol.
2) In Phone Menu (3 vertical dots), I tapped SETTINGS
3) In Settings I selected CALL
4) At the very bottom of that menu there is SUPPOSED TO BE and Option to Select "WiFi Calling,"
BUT IT IS NOT THERE.

The last item in that menu on my NEW S5 is "Vibrate"

I put the SIM card in my older S5 to see if it had "WiFi Calling" in that menu and it DID. And further it ALLOWED me to go to WiFi Calling (Choice was right after :vibrate" in the "Call Menu" as it is supposed to be), which I then activated.

I reinstalled the SIM Card in my NEW S5 thinking maybe the ATT system would alter my phone system, but no dice, STILL no WiFi Calling shown on my NEW S5.

Is there some way that my NEW Phone can be set to incorporate WiFi Calling? The phones are identical otherwise as far as I can tell except for the Icon shape on my screen. On my OLD phone, the Icons have rounded corners, and on the NEW Phone, they have square corners.

My OLD Phone w/ WiFi Calling sends Images with text OK using my Mini Cell Tower (slow, but OK), but the NEW Phone won't.

The NEW phone sends Texts with Images fine when connected directly to an ATT&T signal when away from my dead-spot home property.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Is the new S5 an AT&T branded version like your original one, or an "unlocked" version? If it's the latter it will not have WiFi calling built in and I'm pretty sure it can't be added. The feature is part of the carrier-branded firmware.

The phone is a genuine branded AT&T phone as far as I know, and I took it to my local AT&T store and a kind lady there spent TWO hours with me (above and beyond).

She ascertained it is a genuine AT&T phone (when turned on it plays that AT&T tune and displays the AT&T globe on the screen.

She said the SKU on my phone is the exact same one as on my old phone, and it is es exactly the same model SAM-G900A UD, Same FCC ID#, and commented other than the color they are the "same phone." Naturally, the Serial # and the IMEA # are different, with the newer phone having a higher serial number as one would expect, but that is all. And I said my IMEA# is different, but the first 8 IMEA numbers are the same. The Serial #s are the same most of the way through, and both have a "ZW" spaced after the serial# whatever that means.

She said it was weird that in the "Call" setting for "Service Provider", it displays "My Carrier," and not AT&T, but then she checked my old S5 (on which WiFi Calling works fine) , it ALSO says "My Carrier" under Service Provider (in the "Settings" menu on the phone page), so she thought that was strange, but both phones had the same response.

She checked for updates and found while my OLD phone was CURRENT, the new on had an update available, which she downloaded and installed (took forever to download, install, then update all 219 Apps) , but alas, still no WiFi Calling showing in the menu after that process. I asked if there is anything that the AT&T network "installs" on the phones to permit WiFi Calling (like authorizing the phone as a hot spot), and she said no.

She also gave me a new SIM Card as mine was "old" she said.

The mystery continues

Bob

Last edited:
The phone is a genuine branded AT&T phone as far as I know, and I took it to my local AT&T store and a kind lady there spent TWO hours with me (above and beyond).

She ascertained it is a genuine AT&T phone (when turned on it plays that AT&T tune and displays the AT&T globe on the screen.

She said the SKU on my phone is the exact same one as on my old phone, and it is es exactly the same model SAM-G900A UD, Same FCC ID#, and commented other than the color they are the "same phone." Naturally, the Serial # and the IMEA # are different, with the newer phone having a higher serial number as one would expect, but that is all. And I said my IMEA# is different, but the first 8 IMEA numbers are the same. The Serial #s are the same most of the way through, and both have a "ZW" spaced after the serial# whatever that means.

She said it was weird that in the "Call" setting for "Service Provider", it displays "My Carrier," and not AT&T, but then she checked my old S5 (on which WiFi Calling works fine) , it ALSO says "My Carrier" under Service Provider (in the "Settings" menu on the phone page), so she thought that was strange, but both phones had the same response.

She checked for updates and found while my OLD phone was CURRENT, the new on had an update available, which she downloaded and installed (took forever to download, install, then update all 219 Apps) , but alas, still no WiFi Calling showing in the menu after that process. I asked if there is anything that the AT&T network "installs" on the phones to permit WiFi Calling (like authorizing the phone as a hot spot), and she said no.

She also gave me a new SIM Card as mine was "old" she said.

The mystery continues

Bob
You can check your model of phone and firmware version by referring to #1.2 and #1.8 of the...

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
(You will probably need Phone Info installed, as per the guide)

If they are indeed both
G900A models, then the latest and last ever update for the 6 year old S5 is Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. This is the guide to enabling VoWiFi on the G900A model...

Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900A) VoWiFi

See, also...

WIFI calling on Galaxy S5 not working at home

You can check your model of phone and firmware version by referring to #1.2 and #1.8 of the...

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
(You will probably need Phone Info installed, as per the guide)

If they are indeed both
G900A models, then the latest and last ever update for the 6 year old S5 is Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. This is the guide to enabling VoWiFi on the G900A model...

Samsung Galaxy S5 (G900A) VoWiFi

See, also...

WIFI calling on Galaxy S5 not working at home

ABSOLUTELY, they are both G900A models, and not THAT far aparts with regard to Serial #s and IMEA #s.

My OLDER one is the one that works perfectly on WiFi calling and the newer one is the one that doesn't, and I would think the newer one (serial #) would have the same or later Operating System, but is there a place I can FIND what OS my phones have?

Since the newer one does not have the OPTION present in the menu, I am sure it's just a software version type problem, and yesterday AT&T updated my phone to the very latest ATT&T update, so now I guess I have to check the PHONE Operating System Version.

I KNOW the phones are old technology, and few people think they are worth anything, but I like I can swap out batteries (I buy the high capacity units that come with the expanded rear calm shell) and the features fit my needs just fine.

I have not yet gone to the links you kindly sent me, and will do it this evening. Maybe that will TELL ME how to determine what OS version I have.

Thanks,
Bob

UPDATE-

I mentioned that AT&T Store updated the phone as it showed it was one update behond.

It had OS Marshmallow 5.1.1 and should have 6.0.1. When AT&T updated it it SHOULD have gone to 6.0.1, but evidently somehow the update got corrupted. The phone NOW shows "Your Software Version is Current," but it STILL shows Version 5.1.1 . I went BACK to AT&T and they told me that they cannot "PUSH" an update unless the phone ASKS for it. So they can no longer help me.

I don't know if THEY (AT&T) screwed the phone up or not with a corrupted update yesterday. I went to a phone repair shop from the AT&T store today (their suggestion) and they "wiped" the phone completely and reset it, so it's like it came out of the box, they say, but the Reset did NOT alter the "Current software is up to date" notice, but the installed software shows 5.1.1, which is NOT the latest version (that likely contains the software allowing WiFi Calling).

I called Samsung and they told me that the ohone will need a "Re-flash" and that I would need to take it in hand to a service center for that, but that is a 2hr drive from me. They said they will not accept mail-ins for repair. They said since the phone is more than 1yr old (Date of manufacture) they would likely charge would be $100, which is what the phone cost me NIB, and I CAN send it back for a refund if I want.

There are several "Reset Options" available,in the phone's menu, but since I don't know what they might do, I am reluctant to try any one of them.

Anyone know how to "fool" the phone so it no longer thinks it is "Up tp Date" or at this point should I just send it back?

The phone works perfectly except for the WiFi Calling Feature, but I do need that given my poor reception in my usual use area (home).

Bob

As per my previous post, see #1.8 of the Dummies Guide.

Sorry, yes, I should have read more carefully before asking.

It is 5.1.1 and NOT the latest 6.0.1 which IS the newest version, but evidently now that it says it is up to date (It said it needed an update before AT&T messed with it yesterday) despite the fact it is NOT up-to-date.

You might try installing Samsung Smart Switch on a PC and connecting the phone to the PC. Smart Switch should see the phone and offer to do an update.

So I CAN install Samsung Smart Switch on a P.C.?
I had no idea!
I used smart switch to transfer my data from my OLD S5 to my NEW S5 but I thought it was only for phones.

Can I access Marshmallow 6.0.1 from my computer online and somehow feed it to the phone, then?

If I could just TRICK my phone from saying the software is CURRENT, it would be easy! Then it would accept another update from AT&T.

I wonder if there is a way to access whatever is preventing the phone from asking for the update (AT&T says they cannot "push" and update - the phone has to "ask" for it based on what the "system" sees in the phone.

I am clueless on such things, I am afraid.

Yes there is a PC version of Smart Switch, you can download it here-
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/
Once installed you open it on the PC, connect your phone via USB and the program should detect it. If an update is available you should get a popup, just follow the prompts to install it.

Thanks!

I will try it.

Hopefully it will "push" an update even if my phone says "Up to Date" even though it also shows the older version of the operating system.

I guess that's why Samsung said I would have to take the phone to them to be "flashed", but maybe using my own PC will do what their would do at their service center.

I know somehow the phone uses AT&T software (on top of?) the Samsung software??

Bob

It's certainly worth the effort to at least try using the Smart Switch utility for updates/upgrades. But keep in mind it's a Samsung developed and maintained service. There are no 'custom' ROMs or otherwise 'private' upgrades in Smart Switch, they're all just the whatever stock maintenance files already available to the public. It's a good centralized source for valid, verified Samsung updates and such (with all of the security and privacy issues in today's Internet there are still a surprising number of people who just continue to install things on their phones from random sites), and a good way to do backup/restore tasks but don't expect miracles.

Regarding that 'Up to Date' matter, there's a big contrast between what you consider to be current and updated, and what Samsung or AT&T consider to be current and updated. From their standpoint, there's no financial incentive to keep your phone updated beyond its current state, as far as either one of them is concerned your phone is as up to date as the want it to be. The Android update and upgrade issue is a messed up situation so what we as consumers expect and that the corporate interests determine are often at odds with each other. But it's still matter of no matter how often you press that system updates button in your Settings menu, unless Samsung or AT&T are have an update available for your phone, it's not going to happen. Google may be pumping out security patches every month and various vendors providing update patches on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean we will be receiving them. Also, it's not a like a desktop OS matter where you're much more likely to be able to at least manually apply updates if you're savvy enough, with the Android platform maintenance of the OS itself is more or less closed off.

The WiFi Calling matter might be relative to the firmware installed on your phone. Since it's an unlocked model, that is compatible with AT&T, as opposed to being an actual carrier-locked model, the ROM itself might be the source problem. ROMs are different from each other, even when it involves the same model phone, especially when it involves the different hardware configurations that different carriers require (i.e. the cellular radio chips will vary, as do the SoC that vary between different countries). The carrier-unlocked S5 ROM may not have the required WiFi Calling software that a carrier-locked ROM includes. It is puzzling that when you took it in to a AT&T service center that they weren't able to manually add that in but perhaps it is something involving a more involved firmware patch or re-flashing. Worst case scenario is you do have it sent off to be looked into, so be sure to use Smart Switch to do a complete backup just in case.

This isn't a viable substitute for carrier-based WiFi Calling (that works off your carrier-assigned phone number) but would Google Voice be an option for you?
The Google Voice service has a really wide range of services included:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice#Features
and obtaining a Google Voice phone number is free too. You'll need to use a third-party app like the Google Voice app on your phone but there's the added benefit of how much you can concurrently do on a computer/laptop with GV.

It's certainly worth the effort to at least try using the Smart Switch utility for updates/upgrades. But keep in mind it's a Samsung developed and maintained service. There are no 'custom' ROMs or otherwise 'private' upgrades in Smart Switch, they're all just the whatever stock maintenance files already available to the public. It's a good centralized source for valid, verified Samsung updates and such (with all of the security and privacy issues in today's Internet there are still a surprising number of people who just continue to install things on their phones from random sites), and a good way to do backup/restore tasks but don't expect miracles.

The WiFi Calling matter might be relative to the firmware installed on your phone. Since it's an unlocked model, that is compatible with AT&T, as opposed to being an actual carrier-locked model, the ROM itself might be the source problem. ROMs are different from each other, even when it involves the same model phone, especially when it involves the different hardware configurations that different carriers require (i.e. the cellular radio chips will vary, as do the SoC that vary between different countries). The carrier-unlocked S5 ROM may not have the required WiFi Calling software that a carrier-locked ROM includes. It is puzzling that when you took it in to a AT&T service center that they weren't able to manually add that in but perhaps it is something involving a more involved firmware patch or re-flashing. Worst case scenario is you do have it sent off to be looked into, so be sure to use Smart Switch to do a complete backup just in case.

I see you stated above that ". Since it's an unlocked model, that is compatible with AT&T, as opposed to being an actual carrier-locked model," but the other day when I called Samsung, the CSA looked up my phone when I gave her the IMEA, and Serial# she stated that it is a Locked AT&T Phone, though I seem to remember the ad for the phone saying it was UNlocked.

I am curious why you said it was an unlocked model? Is there a way to tell if it's an unlocked (or locked) phone?

As to the update, when the AT&T CSA looked at both of my phones, (Both the same exact model), my older one had Android 6.0.1 (which is, indeed the latest version confirmed by the Samsung CSA).

The newer phone had Version 5.1.1 installed on it, and the phone SAID it had an update available (When I checked for Available Updates), presumably to Version 6.0.1 When the AT&T CSA initiated the update, it took a LONG time and it appeared to upload the update (I followed the % download progress indicator, and after it hit 100%, it began to do the update install, which I again followed on the % progress indicator until it reached 100%) so I THOUGHT it all went well.

But after the upload and installation the phone STILL said it had Version 5.1.1 as it had BEFORE the update. The ONLY difference now was that when I checked for updates the phone NOW SAYS it is UP TO DATE, though it STILL has the old 5.1.1 Software Version. Somehow apparently id did NOT successfully update even though it SAID it did, so of course since it THINKS it's updated, it won't trigger the AT&T server to supply the update it really needs.

I know I kind of said that before,but not sure if my understanding is correct (please correct me if I am wrong).

It would seem that when I Check for Updates, my phone is "lying" to the AT&T server, keeping the server from supplying the update I need.

It would seem that I need to stop my phone from lying to the AT&T server, or get the AT&T server to "push" the update regardless of what the phone claims it wants, but Samsung and AT&T agree the server cannot "push," so the hone must be "flashed" which I guess will reset it so it won't keep lying to the server. Again, that's my naive' interpretation and I invite anyone correcting my misconceptions (I'm sure I have it wrong in some way).

I have no idea if Smart Switch can remedy the problem (that's a question)?

I'm afraid I don't "understand" this stuff, and I can only do it in cookbook steps, so obviously I am floundering with regard to the theory of it.

I...
I am curious why you said it was an unlocked model? Is there a way to tell if it's an unlocked (or locked) phone?
That's my mistake, while reading through this thread I, in error, saw references to 'unlocked' that weren't actually made by you in your postings. But the issue of that 'Up to Date' message in your Settings menu is still quite valid. What you expect to see (more updates or version upgrades) are often in complete contrast to what Samsung and AT&T. As far as they're concerned, your device is as up to date as they care to make it. Don't take that message as literal or you will just drive yourself nutty, it's in reality very conditional. If the manufacturer nor the carrier want to push updates/upgrades to your phone, no matter how many times you push that button to check for them it won't happen because there may not be any. Your S5 is coming up on its sixth birthday so even though it was an incredible model in its day, at this point continued support for it is waning.
It is puzzling that even your trip out to an AT&T service shop could not get carrier-based WiFI Calling set up on it though.

That's my mistake, while reading through this thread I, in error, saw references to 'unlocked' that weren't actually made by you in your postings. But the issue of that 'Up to Date' message in your Settings menu is still quite valid. What you expect to see (more updates or version upgrades) are often in complete contrast to what Samsung and AT&T. As far as they're concerned, your device is as up to date as they care to make it. Don't take that message as literal or you will just drive yourself nutty, it's in reality very conditional. If the manufacturer nor the carrier want to push updates/upgrades to your phone, no matter how many times you push that button to check for them it won't happen because there may not be any. Your S5 is coming up on its sixth birthday so even though it was an incredible model in its day, at this point continued support for it is waning.
It is puzzling that even your trip out to an AT&T service shop could not get carrier-based WiFI Calling set up on it though.

My call to Samsung revealed my S5 device is ELIGIBLE for the update that should allow WiFi Calling (one of the features advertised for the S5 WAS in fact WiFi calling in fact) and in fact my OLDER S5 GOT THE UPDATE, so my newer one SHOULD have received when AT&T did the update. The problem is that my NEWER phone THINKS it got the update to 6.0.1 like my older device actually GOT, but it didn't. (For some unknown reason) My OLD S5 with the newer update DOES WiFi calling, so it'n not an "obsolete device" problem in other words.

I don't know why the update failed (but told the phone it didn't), but Samsung says they can FIX the bogus "Up to Date" condition by a FLASH and install 6.0.1, but want $100 to do it, which is nuts given that this exceeds the cost of a brand new S5 (new= sealed new-in-box). If my phone were in Warranty the FLASH would be free, of course, but even though my phone is brand new, unless it was purchased from an AUTHORIZED Samsung retailer, the warranty ends 1yr after the date of manufacture, and NOT when purchased and activated. She said they do not even reconize Best Buy as a valid retailer, though they DO sell Samsung phones to tee public, BTW..

Flashing a phone is mostly a labor intensive task, so that $100 fee is for labor, not the value of the update nor your phone. Whatever warranty that applies to this phone being a recent purchase is a debatable issue. If WiFi Calling is a stated or implied feature than you may or may not have some leverage to force Best Buy to cover part or all of the costs. Look through the Best Buy documentation if it actually refers to WiFi Calling as being an integral part of the phone you bought from them. If yes you can try threatening a lawsuit, if no, they have the upper hand.
Just note that it's not a hardware matter so Samsung isn't directly responsible. It's a software matter, tied to directly to the carrier but since you didn't actually purchase this phone from AT&T, it isn't liable either.
Either way, paying $100 might be your only option at this point. Hiring a lawyer to go up against either or all three of these big corporations (Samsung, AT&T, and Best Buy) will involve a lot more money given all three have seriously massive legal departments. Plus, consumer protection laws here in America are tilted towards corporate interests.

If third-party WiFi Calling options like Google Voice aren't an option for you. you initially referred to having an AT&T extender. Have you tried resetting it and making sure it's implemented in an optimal way? Those cellular extender units often require a good connection to your router (check the Ethernet cable running between the two) and just as importantly, physically locating the extender (or its external antenna if it has one) next to an outward facing window so it can receive a stable GPS signal.

Back
Top Bottom