• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Several Questions

Lmo97

Lurker
Hello everyone, I'm a new Samsung Acclaim user (less than a week). I gave up my beloved Blackberry for the 2 for 1 Android at US Celluar. Still not convinced it was a good switch, I miss my faithful BB.

I have found this forum very helpful and appreciate any answers you can give me on the following questions:

1) Am I blind or can you NOT reply/forward in the Google/Gmail? UPDATE: I am blind..I found it. Waaaay at the bottom of the email. :)

2) How can I turn off the little chime sound that happens each time I plug or unplug the power cord?

3) Does anyone know facts about when or if Popcap games will have Android apps. I miss those from my Blackberry. There were awesome! So strange that the 50,000+ Android Market does not have them.

4) Is there a way to turn off the Google voice mail search that pops up when I accidently (CONSTANTLY!) bump the little magnifying glass on the control keys (not touch screen). This is a big problem.

Again, thank you for any solid answers you can provide. If these problems persist I will be returning to my Blackberry. ;)

Hello,
I can only comment on your question #2. As far as I am aware, there is no way to turn off the notification sound when you plug/unplug the power cord. I have also searched on Google to try to find a solution but had no such luck either. I agree, it is very useless but I think at the current time we are stuck with it.

Eric

2. Eric1214 is quite right here. There appears to be no way to turn off individual notifications, by default, in Android. I've searched for an app that would allow this, but have yet to find one. I'm assuming that it is not an easy task.

3. Hmm, I've had two BlackBerrys prior to my Acclaim (8330 and 9630), and I am not familiar with Popcap games. You might try to Google for them and contact the developer to see if he/she/they plan on any Android releases. Many developers specialize in one platform, so this is not all that unusual.

4. Unfortunately no, there is not a way to turn this off. Some users experiencing this have had luck by performing a Factory Data Reset on their device. This is located in Settings > Privacy. Be aware that this is the equivalent of a Security Wipe on your BlackBerry.

Remember, BlackBerry has been doing this over a decade, Android for about eighteen months!

Thanks for your help. I've had the Acclaim for a week tomorrow. I plan to go back to the Blackberry. The few "pros" to the android don't out weigh the cons I'm afraid. The touch screen is very inconvienient as something is always being accidentally acitivated. This adds too many steps to the task I'm really trying to accomplish.

I can understand. Android is not for everyone. Every smartphone platform has its strong points and also its opportunities for improvement. I'm just glad we have choices! Check out the new 9650 Bold. It includes the best features from the Tour and Curve 2.

Today, after using the Acclaim for one week, I went back to my Blackberry Tour. Thank you for all your helpful input!!

I should try the BB Bold! Darn, wish I would have checked this before I switched back. Not that I still can't change of course. I just might do that. :-)

Thanks again.

2) How can I turn off the little chime sound that happens each time I plug or unplug the power cord?

you have to turn off the notifications ringtone in settings (sound & display)

but this also turns off sound for incomming texts & other notices...

with that said, if you enable vibrate for notifications it will not effect what happens when charging the phone but will atleast vibrate during incomming messages/alerts (assuming you leave the notifications ringtone off)

Thanks driftwood & rasmith!

Yes, you can go to Settings > Sound & display > Notification ringtone > select 'Silent'.
This will also set any notification sounds that are currently set to 'Default ringtone' to Silent, but all you have to do is change that.
For instance, if you go into Messaging > Settings > Select ringtone > you can pick a notification tone. Same goes with Gmail, etc.

Excellent, thanks that seemed to do the trick. If you just set your main notification sound to silent (under phone settings) then this stops the phone from sounding when you plug/unplug it. Then you can set individiual notifications for any other apps (e-mail, sms, etc.). The only downside would be if you have any app which only uses the default notification sound but all of the ones that I have seen allow you to customize it. I wonder if this also silences the phone when losing/regaining the network signal. That would be awesome, but haven't had a chance to test that yet.

Thanks again, never thought to try this.

Yes Eric, this is going to silence ALL notifications, so unless you can figure out how to turn on notification for gain/loss of network (I haven't found it yet) outside the main system notification, I believe you may lose that one as well. Let us know if you find anything. Perhaps vibrate and ring?

Back
Top Bottom