• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shadowy bands at screen edges

I've just noticed this weird thing about the display on my Nexus 7.

I love downloading wallpapers and so far have not encountered any problems. But just today, it being nearly Winter, I decided to get some wallpapers with a snow theme - I downloaded them from Google Images by touching the image and selecting 'download image', being careful to select only images that were 1920 x 1080 pixels.

But when I set them as wallpaper, there are shadowy bands down the left and right sides of each image, just like what photographers would call 'vignetting' or 'light fall-off'. I then checked that it wasn't these new images by taking images I'd already used as wallpaper and had not had a problem with, and those shadowy bands are still there. I even tried the Nexus 7's built-in wallpapers and still get this.

I'd thought that maybe this was a 'feature' - that maybe it was there so that app icons on the sides of the screen would stand out better - but if so, you should be able to switch it off. I've gone to settings - display and there doesn't seem to be a control for it.

Has anyone got any idea of what's happening here? Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones