• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get the Pixel 2 XL or the Pixel 3a?

Hey all,
I currently have the Unlocked Pixel 1 XL, and I'm looking to upgrade my phone. The 2 XL and 3a (small one) are both in my budget right now. I'm a bit iffy on which one to get. Should I spring for the 3a (currently about 399$) or get the 2xl (~$320-$330 Renewed and Certified by Amazon)? Is there anything significantly better about the Pixel 3a? T-Mobile is my carrier, if that helps.

The pixel 4 is rumor to be coming out in a few months, which means phones like the pixel XL, the regular pixel 3 and XL models along with the 3A and 3A XL will be cut price wise.
From what I read the pixel 3 A and 3 XL A or A XL are the budget version of the pixel 3. The process is one or two seconds slower the camera is good but not great, unless you are some hard core phone junkie who runs all kinds of bench mark test, chances are you really won't notice the difference.

Thanks. Do you think the processor will give me issues in the future, or will be too weak in the coming time? Also, is there screen noticeably worse ok the 3a?

No, I don't think the processor will give you issues. You are comparing a current gen midrange processor with a two year old flagship processor. The 2XL should still have an edge in the gpu, but unless you are a gamer I doubt it will make much difference to you. In other respects the 3a should keep up just fine (it has fewer cores, clocked slower, but they are of a more modern architecture, and the ISP is of a newer generation).

As for screens, obviously the 3a is smaller. I've not seen one in the flesh yet so can't say anything on quality, but the 2XL wasn't world-leading there anyway so I doubt it will be worse.
I would always recommend that people try to see a phone for real before buying anyway.

The 3a is newer so may have longer software support, but as this is Google's first midrange Pixel we can't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom