• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I upgrade to this phone?

mountainlover

Android Enthusiast
I was planning on using my son's upgrade for this phone and giving him my Rezound. I don't have time to read all the posts on here but what I have read doesn't look so good...seems like a lot of people are having problems. Are the majority having signal/wifi problems or are most of you happy with your purchase?

I dumped my iphone 4 for the Samsung Note. I returned the phone because of the lag from time to time. I switched to the Galaxy SIII and its perfect! Forums tend to be more about issues than positive stories. The vast majority are probably very happy. I highly recommend the phone.

I have had all the iPhones and many Android phones during the same period. So far this is the best all around phone I've used. Some people seem have received duds and do not return them for some reason. Mine has worked flawlessly so far. One thing that impresses me the most is the picture quality. Much better photos than my iPhone 4s. It mostly sits on my kitchen table now.

The signal is better than the Nexus but not as good as your Droid x. It works fine in rural areas around where I live. Power and features wise nothing can touch it. But if you have a questionable signal with the DX I would probably get the Razor. Everyone else, this phone is definitely for you.

The signal is better than the Nexus but not as good as your Droid x. It works fine in rural areas around where I live. Power and features wise nothing can touch it. But if you have a questionable signal with the DX I would probably get the Razor. Everyone else, this phone is definitely for you.

The only phone I ever had signal issues with was the Nexus and I exchanged it for my Rezound.

The only phone I ever had signal issues with was the Nexus and I exchanged it for my Rezound.

This phone is pretty sweet man. As far as multimedia goes there is nothing even half way close. It shares with wifi, Bluetooth, dnla, and microusb, not only with saved stuff, but on the fly as well. It has picture in picture. It's powerful enough to run on live Arkanum City onlive , while connected HDMI on my TV, and while connected Bluetooth to a controller. It runs n64 emulation smoothly. It can surf and talk at the same time. It takes great pictures and video. It's the first "phone" if you want to call it that to truly be a multitasking hub.

One thing I would recommend is don't mess around and grab the otter box commuter/defender, all of the parts inside are so close together, it seems to be a bit vulnerable to "drop tests". But with my commuter my daughter has tossed mine a couple of times and it has been fine. And yes it kills some of the sleekness to the design, it doesn't add too much. And let's face it, if you are getting a 5 inch screen phone, you probably don't care a whole lot about that anyway. Protect it, and you may get 3 good years with this phone.

Don't go by what you see in forums. You'll see problems for EVERY phone. Most of the problems are user related. I've been using the Verizon S3 for almost a week, with no problems. I don't live in a 4g area but there is one about 10 miles away. I went there to test the 4g, was getting full bars. I've made about 50 calls in and around my area, no dropped calls, crystal clear audio.

i dont care how good the phone is, people will nit pick and find flaws in it. This S3 is, all around, the best phone ive ever had. I have not experienced any problems personally... it is an absolute beast

I gave up my iPhone 4 for the S3 also. I absolutely love this phone. I also tried the note on 2 separate occasions. I liked it as well but my back got to hurting from carrying it around. I agree that most issues with this phone are user caused. I really don't think you will be disappointed at all.

I just upgraded from the S2 to the S3. I'm very happy with the S3 so far; the only thing that my S2 has that is better than the S3 is the brighter display. The S3 is bigger and that could be an issue for you. The S2 feels well packed at its current size.

If cost isn't an issue and you enjoy discovering new features, it's worth taking the plunge.

I went to a Verizon store today and was underwhelmed. The display was very dim. I tried messing with it but I couldn't get it to stay bright. Also, it wasn't on 4G even though that is a strong 4G area. I was on a wait list to talk with a sales person but after playing a few minutes with no help, I walked out.

Okay...what about the GPS. I still have my captivate which has a spotty GPS, but everything else is great. I was thinking of upgrading and either making it an "I touch" or giving it to my mother in law. Right now I have no money, but maybe by Christmas.

Sure, I would love to let my son use his own upgrade...just as soon as he has a job to pay for the new phone and the monthly service. ;)

Awe snap! That's a good comeback. One I hear used on my 15 yo niece a lot. She inherited her mom's Droid X and is full of complaints. She wants an iPhone. Her brother wants the S3. Neither have jobs nor the money to pay for the phone let alone the service. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Forums in general are where people seek answers to problems. I read a lot of complaints about the S2 when it came out. Pretty much none of it was true for me. (GPS does take a little longer to lock on than my old LG Optimus V, but it's not unusable. I just get in the habit of switching on my GPS and punching up the route before I leave my WiFi signal. The phone can find me by WiFi location and download the route map. The voice turn-by-turn directions kick in as soon as the GPS locks a few minutes later.)

So far in drop tests the S3 and S2 did amazingly well (much better than iPhone). I'd still get at least a TPU case for it though. The TPU cases keep the back from falling off and have a bumper around the screen to keep it from touching the ground. I have dropped my phone a lot since October. It hit the floor 3 times today at Best Buy. Nary a scratch on it.

Get the S3 I have had multiple androids including the note and skyrocket also had the 4s and this is the best. I had the atrix and the signal is pretty good get close to what I got with my atrix.

Your son will also see if he want his chooseing he needs to work for it ( I learned that by getting what my parents choose) :p
So getting the s3 is a win win for you:p:D

I went to a Verizon store today and was underwhelmed. The display was very dim. I tried messing with it but I couldn't get it to stay bright. Also, it wasn't on 4G even though that is a strong 4G area. I was on a wait list to talk with a sales person but after playing a few minutes with no help, I walked out.

I wouldn't judge a phone from a display model. those things are horrible. I hear so many people so their S3 is dim. Doesn't make sense. If auto brightness is not on and you say your phone is dim turn the brightness all the way up. Plenty bright.

I don't know what VZW does for returning phones (3 days)? Maybe go pick one up and if you don't like it take it back. I just think its pretty weird your are judging this whole thing on a display model and the service you got. Which as nothing to do with the phone and how you use it.

Back
Top Bottom