• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smart Lock settings not there

theandies

Android Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2011
Warrenton, Va
I got a Z2 Force for Christmas and in setting it up I went through 4 software updates and am now on the latest release - Android 8.0.0 for this phone. Going through things setting them up like I like them I went to setup Smart Lock and when I tap on Smart Lock in settings it opens but there are no options listed. Just a blank white screen. I did an internet search and found that some have to reset their phones to get the options to show only to find later they disappear again and another reset is needed.
Anyone have this problem and is there a better solution than just resetting? Also, has this been a problem with the Z2 Force since it came out or just an update that broke it?

I went to setup Smart Lock and when I tap on Smart Lock in settings it opens but there are no options listed. Just a blank white screen. I did an internet search and found that some have to reset their phones to get the options to show only to find later they disappear again and another reset is needed.
Mine came with 7.1.1 installed, then updated to 8.0.0. Here's what my Smart Lock screen looks like:

Screenshot_20181227-115849.png

I wonder why you had to go through so many updates to get to 8.0.0. It was my understanding that 7.1.1 was the Z² Force's original version.

I don't have much to offer other than doing a factory reset and stopping before each OS upgrade to see if Smart Lock works. This will narrow down when/where the problem appears. You could then choose to stop at the version where it works. I know that's not ideal, but it's something.

Upvote 0
It was 7.1.1. Out of the box the software was …

NDX26.122-58 – Initial Release - 2017.08.10 – Verizon Wireless
Moto Z2 - Phone name
7.1.1 - Android version
July 1, 2017 - Android security patch level
F16.MOT.Moto Z (2).0 - Configuration version
M8998_27.78.01.90R NNS - Baseband version
4.4.21-perf-g8ceedd1
hudsoncm@ilclbld31 #1
Mon Jul 17 16:13:08 CDT 2017 - Kernel version
NDX26.122-58 - Build number

I am not rooted.

I have installed all the updates as they came out.

I normally have Screen Lock set to none and this will leave Smart Lock greyed out. If I choose something else then Smart Lock is not greyed out. I then get the same screen as the one posted.

In the original message … when you say "reset" do you mean "Factory Data Reset"?

Are you using the update from …
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-z2-force-edition-update/
… or is it from some other source?

… Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Smart Lock ; locks and unlocks with a type of key.
1 Bluetooth device
2 location services on and home address Must be set
3 WiFi device
4 nfc device
Once you connect one of these, the option will be there.

And a trusted contact aka additional app, can turn it on. When proximity to the trustee.

Note, with out the connection option is removed. Also note some Carriers removed it from the ROM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones