• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smart Pill Identifier - What do you guys think?

Hi all,

Over the last few months I have been developing Smart Pill ID that uses AI/ML to automatically identify prescription medicine with just your smartphone camera.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iconiqStudios.pillID

Every year over 100,000 Americans are killed in a pharmacy prescription dispensing error. Studies show that nearly 90% of employee pharmacists had made in error in the past year.

Smart Pill ID's mission is to tackle these issues and provide a safe approach to combating dispensing errors.

However, the use cases do not end with consumer prescriptions. This app can be used in Prisons, Pharmacies, Poison control, and other types of institutions where identification of prescription drugs is vital.

An app like this could have saved me a lot of trouble in the past. When I was around 10 years old, the pharmacy accidentally dispensed my medicine that was over 100x the dosage I needed. Had my mother not realized my heart beating much faster than normal a few days after taking the medicine, I would not be here today.

The reason for my post today is for guidance to taking this application to the next level. Any feedback would be most welcome and I look forward to hearing from you.

The GoodRx app does the same with pictures that are already in the international database.
Good luck with your app
Hi Dannydet, there's one big difference. You have type in those entries manually until you get a match. My app will identify pills using just your camera

The reason for my post today is for guidance to taking this application to the next level. Any feedback would be most welcome and I look forward to hearing from you.

there's one big difference. You have type in those entries manually until you get a match. My app will identify pills using just your camera

If I may... I think you should consider making the app to search by both pictures and manually entered data. If you rely on only pictures you will end up with lots of bad reviews as pics will not always be accurate.

You should also consider shrinking the app size a bit. As it stands, it's a little too big when compared to similar apps with more features. This may be because of the admob library.

If you haven't already, consider using the following in your build.gradle:
Code:
minifyEnabled true
shrinkResources true

If you include the above, you'll have to add some proguard rules so that necessary code is not removed.

If I may... I think you should consider making the app to search by both pictures and manually entered data. If you rely on only pictures you will end up with lots of bad reviews as pics will not always be accurate.

You should also consider shrinking the app size a bit. As it stands, it's a little too big when compared to similar apps with more features. This may be because of the admob library.

If you haven't already, consider using the following in your build.gradle:
Code:
minifyEnabled true
shrinkResources true

If you include the above, you'll have to add some proguard rules so that necessary code is not removed.

Hey, I'll take a look. Thanks for the info. As for the manual entry, I have that in the backlog ;) I'm not at a fully consumer ready version yet, to get there I have a large roadmap to V1. I hope to set up a website with a public kanban board for all my projects (2 are patent pending!)

Back
Top Bottom