• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smart Volume Control + (Pirated Copy) Threat To Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dankees

Android Enthusiast
So, someone sent me a copy of "Smart Volume Control +" - it seems to have been pirated.

Out of nowhere today, a message popped up on my phone and said that my phone number was being reported, etc. and that I should buy it within 24 hours and I wouldn't be reported. It mentioned something about a SIM Card as well.

Is this a legitimate threat? Is this even possible? I removed the application at once. Am I OK?

No telling what was in there. That's the risk you take when installing apps from questionable sources. If you're not rooted, a factory reset is recommended to be safe. If you are rooted then there's a possibility that a malicious app is deeply rooted in your system. In that case I'd recommend reflashing the firmware.

Buying the app directly through google play is the one way to be the safest. If it comes from Google Play, it is subjected to screening to determine if it is malicious or not. If coming from a 3rd party, the host of the file has the ability to alter it to put something malicious as part of the package. Plus buying it supports the dev which is always a plus.

Don't ever use links because then you lose the security that the play store offers. Probably the reason they take you off the play store to buy is because google won't approve it.

Absolutely NOT. That's called ransomware. It's common on PC's although I've never seen an Android version.

They block certain services and make your PC (or in this case your phone) unusable with the message to get it back you have to buy something. They'll take your credit card and do lord knows what with it and of course it still doesn't fix anything.

They provided a link to buy it. I didn't press it. So, I shouldn't buy it? I don't wanna reset.

Is the link to the Google Play store? If it is, it *might* be a security thing put in by the dev to prevent piracy, but if it takes you to an unknown website or unauthorized app market, I'd avoid it like the plague.

If you are determined not to reset, then you should contact the dev directly and ask them if they put this in the app.

Yeah, I don't know. I didn't want to press the link. If I e-mail them they will tell me to buy it.

Probably, but they will also be able to tell you if the message you see is part of their app or something malicious that was added later. If the former, you're probably pretty safe by uninstalling it. If the latter, then you should really reset or a lot more than an annoying message could be happening. Your personal information could be compromised.

You should reset immediately. This sounds too much like an email virus where people get infected with malware and the malware uses the user's contact list to further distribute the malware. If you didn't even know the person who sent it to you, it is also likely cause to be concerned.

Also, if you received this app from a PM on Android Forums, please report it so we can investigate further.

If an app name has "Full", "Plus", "+", or "Pro" in the description...it's likely a paid version. If you're getting it for free, it is pirated (unless you're getting it from the developer's website or thread). If so, avoid it as pirated apps often have malware attached. You should ask yourself this question when you install pirated apps: Is your phone and personal information worth the few dollars that the legit app costs?

I bought smart volume control+ after using the light version. Direct from Google Play and not seen this...where did you get this copy from?

So, someone sent me a copy of "Smart Volume Control +" - it seems to have been pirated.

Out of nowhere today, a message popped up on my phone and said that my phone number was being reported, etc. and that I should buy it within 24 hours and I wouldn't be reported. It mentioned something about a SIM Card as well.

Is this a legitimate threat? Is this even possible? I removed the application at once. Am I OK?
@darkness
I've experienced the same problem this morning and i need help, I factory rested my phone also.
What did you do? Did you pay for the app? Did you receive any e-mail whatsoever?
what happened after the warning pop-up?

-
Thank you

PS- I've rooted my Phone.

If your phone is rooted, restoring a nandroid backup made before you installed the app would remove any trace.

On most rooted phones it would be possible for malware to install something that could survive a reset (by installing to system). Chances are it has not, but you should be aware that this is possible. Reflash the ROM if you want to be sure it's clear (a nand restore as above does this too). Though thinking about it, it would probably have to request superuser privileges in order to do this, so probably you are ok (if it did ask for su access be very concerned).

If you got the file via AF please tell the mods.

the same happened with me today! :'( What should I do now?! Will a factory reset do the trick?

If your phone is not rooted, a factory reset will remove the problem, and to be safe I'd reformat the sd media as well.

If you're rooted that there is a possibility that the malware was written to the system files so a factory reset might not help. The only way to be truly sure is to flash stock firmware.

If your phone is not rooted, a factory reset will remove the problem, and to be safe I'd reformat the sd media as well.

If you're rooted that there is a possibility that the malware was written to the system files so a factory reset might not help. The only way to be truly sure is to flash stock firmware.

I am on cm10.1.. So reflashing it through cwm would do the trick?

Quick question: the OP had got his copy from somewhere else. Was yours also a download from an entrusted source, or from the Play Store? My guess is that this is an infected copy and not from the Play Store, but it would be helpful to know (ensure we advise people correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom