• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS app that lets me text with my ATT *data* plan

ATT has separate text and data plans. I hardly use either, but I had to get data to get a smart phone. I figured I would use an android app for texting.

Problem is: the andriod app I use - textplus - only works for outgoing texts, and replies to those texts. If somebody texts to my cell number, it is picked up by ATT's standard text client, and I'm charged $0.20 a message. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if there was an SMS app that could replace the standard ATT app.

Go online to the att wireless site and you can adjust any and everything related to your bill. Changing features to get some messaging is quite easy.. And if youre willing to add 5 bucks to your bill (on a smartphone) you can have tons of texting capabilities...And right this second all u have to do is press a button and you can get get free mobile to ANY mobile minutes thereby letting you adjust your mins....At least 90% of MY calls are to and from mobile phones...

I have saved $20 bucks by tweaking my bill manually online...You would have to ASK someone specifically to access this via customer service...This is AMERICA. Do it yourself.

OJsakila, I have no idea what you are posting about.

I went to ATT mobile site. I can add 1000 message texting for $10 (per phone, I assume). Other than that, I see no way to change any option to add messaging. I see no $5 offer to add tons of features.

I chatted with an ATT sales rep, there is no $5 a month messaging plan. Unless there is an android app, I guess $0.20 a text is my cheapest option.

If you don't mind using a different number there is always Google Voice, free texts both ways. No MMS though, that may be a drawback for you. I was able to "train" everyone to email me pics instead of texting them. They got the hang of it.
GV offers so much more than just texting, it's truly a great little thing!
Also, I know with Verizon, there is a $5 text plan but I *think* you have to call for it. It didn't show online last time I looked (a while back). Maybe ATT is the same, give them a call if you want to pay for a texting package.

Walterbyrd -> Try "Beluga"

You can add phone #s to pods, and then send messages to the pod via data. The recipient phone # will get a text message and be able to reply to your text message which you will then see in the Beluga app. You can also add multiple #s, emails, or other Beluga ID's to this "pod" and you can all see what the other person is saying. Check it out, I think it's awesome!

Ps. it'll show your name to the recipient.

Thanks for the suggestions. All good ideas. Of course, the basic problem remains: if somebody sends an SMS text to my ATT mobile number, I have to pay ATT, unless I have text blocked. I suppose, there is no way around that.

I wonder if I can get people to SMS to a Meebo account?

Just think about the logistics of it all. When someone sends you a text, it goes through ATTs system and then to your phone. I dont think there is any app that could "catch" or "listen" for texts to ###-###-#### before it gets to ATTs system.

KenG10, I'm pretty sure if you block texts on your phone that it disables incoming texts. Which means to the system it's as if you never received that text. Hence they couldn't charge you for something you never received. While yes it did go through THEIR system, you didn't get it. That would be like someone calling you while your phone was off yet you get charged for the call.

As for the SMS thing, try the user who suggested Google Voice. Pretty sure Google Voice will give you a # that people then can text and will get redirected to you. I see what you're talking about though. Hm, I don't think there is quite an app like that besides Google Voice. Which might actually end up costing you money eventually once Google Voice is no longer free.

Actually, you can set up GV to receive text messages at your current phone number. But, there is a $20 porting fee.

Right now, I am using a free GV number (not my actual cell#) for texting, and it seems to work well. I can text from my desktop, or android phone.

Back
Top Bottom