• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Software Updates

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
I understand that this phone is not a nexus but considering that Google has bought out Motorola and watched over the creation of this phone specifically, will it get quick updates from google like a nexus would?

I understand that this phone is not a nexus but considering that Google has bought out Motorola and watched over the creation of this phone specifically, will it get quick updates from google like a nexus would?

I think it will be quicker than most manufacturers but no where as fast as Nexus Devices or GPE either.

sadly there is no nexus on vzw. google disowned the LTE nexus...after we all bought it of course with the expectation of direct updates...and updates always took for ever, for a nexus anyway. If the moto x is any slower than that, it might just as well be any other phone.

Just wondering because take ZTE for example (bad company in my opinion but any who...), most if not all of their phones are near vanilla builds of android but it takes them a year or more on most occasions to move a phone's software from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 -_- Though the Moto X is no Nexus, it is still a flagship for "Motorola Mobility... A Google Company" and I at least hope that it will be treated as such as far as its software updates go. Regardless, it is an amazing phone and I love that Motorola is taking the time to optimize the software to perfectly work with the hardware. Here's to the a new era for Motorola, Cheers :beer:

My biggest concern is Android 5.0 as 4.3 isn't really that big of a change. I could wait for the Nexus 5 but if it takes too long I will loose my unlimited date (grandfathered in on Verizon but need to resign my 2year).

Anyone have any idea of even if this doesn't get the update a custom ROM could update it and still have the always on voice stuff?

My biggest concern is Android 5.0 as 4.3 isn't really that big of a change. I could wait for the Nexus 5 but if it takes too long I will loose my unlimited date (grandfathered in on Verizon but need to resign my 2year).

Anyone have any idea of even if this doesn't get the update a custom ROM could update it and still have the always on voice stuff?

Hi and welcome to Android Forums!

Here in the U.S. it will all come down to how fast the carriers want to push out the update. Google may release it to the carriers fast enough; but I know Verizon will have a few apps on their version of the X that need to work perfectly. So there will be soak tests, one after the other, and when everything is proven THEN the update will get released. This process could take weeks or even months.

Next issue is why you would lose your unlimited data waiting for the Nexus 5? Unless you're talking about a termination of contract (that would do it) to get it on another carrier. But if you're going month to month at the end of the contract, you're still on unlimited until the line is terminated by YOU.

I guess I misunderstood something there. Easy for me to do :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome to Android Forums!

Here in the U.S. it will all come down to how fast the carriers want to push out the update. Google may release it to the carriers fast enough; but I know Verizon will have a few apps on their version of the X that need to work perfectly. So there will be soak tests, one after the other, and when everything is proven THEN the update will get released. This process could take weeks or even months.

Next issue is why you would lose your unlimited data waiting for the Nexus 5? Unless you're talking about a termination of contract (that would do it) to get it on another carrier. But if you're going month to month at the end of the contract, you're still on unlimited until the line is terminated by YOU.

I guess I misunderstood something there. Easy for me to do :rolleyes:

Thanks! What was communicated to me was that if I don't resign my Verizon contract after a certain time of being done my contract they can kick me off my grandfathered unlimited data plan which they no longer offer (for that price at least). Though I honestly can't remember when I was told this so I definitely need to confirm it.

I certainly understand that Verizon likes to drag their feet as even though I have a Galaxy Nexus it isn't running 4.3. But I know I can get it with a custom flashed ROM so I am not too worried (I haven't re-rooted this one since I got the replacement). Looks like Motorola released an app in the Play Store to do the always on functionality which I would assume works with custom ROMs. Only time will tell but I think 5.0 could be available without too much delay if I wanted to go through rooting and everything.

Back
Top Bottom