• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SOLVED] Dropbox problems...revisited

Since recently switching everything over from my old [primary] laptop to my new [primary] laptop, I've been struggling with Dropbox issues. Its settings are very limited, so there isn't a lot of tweaking I can do via its desktop client or its web site. I'm actually baffled by its 'logic'...such as it is. The main issue is as follows.

Consider this:

1) a directory named /data/media/images
2) a directory named ~/Dropbox

I want the contents of #1 to be backed up online in my Dropbox account.

According to Dropbox, anything I want saved online has to be in my Dropbox directory, which in my case is the default location of #2. BUT, to accomplish that, I either have to MOVE my images directory (which has zillions of subdirectories and bazillions of files in them) from my desired location in /data/media to ~/Dropbox, or I have to copy it there, or, less reliably, I can link it there. NONE of these choices is good for me. The first means changing my directory structure, which is bad because I have extensive scripting referring to various directories. The second means using double the disk space locally, and the latter is not 100% reliable.

But worse than that, what I've found is that if I delete a file or directory locally, it ALSO gets deleted from my online Dropbox account. That CANNOT possibly be the correct behavior, can it?

Say that I copied /data/media/images/beaches to ~/Dropbox/beaches. Its files get uploaded to my Dropbox account. Great! I'm using Dropbox for backup purposes, so the files are there, all's good, right? Wrong! If I now delete ~/Dropbox/beaches, it ALSO is deleted from my online account. :thinking:

Isn't the whole point that you're supposed to rest assured, knowing that if some catastrophe happens at your end, like disk failure or accidental deletion of files, that you can RETRIEVE those files from your online account? That's how *I* think it's supposed to work...but apparently not. And I'm absolutely baffled by that. If I accidentally...while logged in as root...rm -rf /... :eek: (Note to anyone who doesn't know: DO NOT issue that command while logged in as root! It will yield very, very bad results.)

What am I missing? I must be missing something because Dropbox simply doesn't work the way I think it should.

Hi

Yes, that is how dropbox works - its not ideal for large scale backups, but is good if you move around and want up to date data on any computer (via the account being installed on them all, or via the web app). To do backups to the cloud and be able to delete the originals, I would use a google account (and use drive) without having the drive client installed on the PC ie just use it in a browser. Or use Box or Mega or Copy..

Dropbox is good at sync, but as you have realised, not perfect for pure backup. Actually, if you do have a disaster as you describe, your data would be preserved so long as you dont loose your presence of mind and re sync an empty dropbox to your account. Even then, dropbox keeps a copy of all deleted files for one month which you can reinstate - indefinitely if you have a paid subscription.

Roger

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Yes, that is how dropbox works - its not ideal for large scale backups, but is good if you move around and want up to date data on any computer
Thanks for this. I guess I perceived it wrong, i.e., that its purpose, or one of its purposes, was to have backups stored in case of catastrophe. It's good to know that its real purpose is syncing vs backing up.

(via the account being installed on them all, or via the web app). To do backups to the cloud and be able to delete the originals, I would use a google account (and use drive) without having the drive client installed on the PC ie just use it in a browser. Or use Box or Mega or Copy..
Thanks.

Dropbox is good at sync, but as you have realised, not perfect for pure backup. Actually, if you do have a disaster as you describe, your data would be preserved so long as you dont loose your presence of mind and re sync an empty dropbox to your account.
Then I need to disable Dropbox from starting up automatically.

Even then, dropbox keeps a copy of all deleted files for one month which you can reinstate - indefinitely if you have a paid subscription.
I did not know that! (And, yes, I do have a paid subscription.)

Upvote 0
Hi again

If you open dropbox in a browser, log in to your account and right click on a file (not folder) you will see a "previous versions" option which allows restores. See here also https://www.dropbox.com/help/969

Assuming you are using linux, you can "pause sync" with the dropbox daemon dropdown running in the task bar. I think it stays that way until you re-enable it.

I don't see why moving (rather than copying) your data into the dropbox folder would double the local storage used?

Roger

Upvote 0
If you open dropbox in a browser, log in to your account and right click on a file (not folder) you will see a "previous versions" option which allows restores. See here also https://www.dropbox.com/help/969
I don't see that. In my example from above, say that I removed ~/Dropbox/beaches, which contained 100 jpeg files. Via browser, my online DB account shows no trace of those 100 files because their directory is gone.

Assuming you are using linux, you can "pause sync" with the dropbox daemon dropdown running in the task bar. I think it stays that way until you re-enable it.
Yes--or until you reboot. It does the latter if you have the DB client starting automatically when booting up.

I don't see why moving (rather than copying) your data into the dropbox folder would double the local storage used?
Once I was on my second cup of coffee I re-read my OP. And fixed that. :laugh: (I am NOT a morning person, and I got almost no sleep last night. When you combine the two, it adds up to stupid things. :eek:)

Upvote 0
Hi

Re the deleted files - heres an extract from dropbox:

Use the website to find files, including deleted files

Files you've uploaded to your account, including recently deleted files, can be found on the website. Sign in to dropbox.com and type the name of a missing file into the search box. Use the Advanced search link (which will appear after you type something in the search box) to search for deleted files. Alternatively, you can just press the trash can icon next to the search box to show deleted files, which will appear in gray. Learn more on how to search for files.

Your search may show that the files were actually moved and not deleted. When you move files, Dropbox treats this event as you deleting them in one place and adding them to another place. If you move (or just rename) a large number of files, then you may receive a notification that some files were “deleted” and then miss the notification that they were “added” later.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones