• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some application is killing my battery

IlanTal

My leagoo updates regularly. Most of the time the phone is doing nothing, screen off, and waiting for a phone call to arrive. In this situation a full charge would last 3-4 days. I always shut down the phone at night which extends the useful time.

In the last few days some update has apparently killed my phone. As usual the phone is mostly doing nothing, but a full charge will last only about 10 hours before dropping to zero. I turned on the battery saver so no notifications would come in and I could save battery life that way. It makes essentially no difference. The telephone is slightly warm which is a sign that it is doing something.

I tried to figure out what application is eating my battery. Looking in the battery I see that Screen is 7%, Wi-Fi 2%, cell standby 1%, and voice calls 1%. I have the screen adjusting to the light level, but 99+% of the time nothing is displaying on the screen.

I don't see any application which will list my applications, along with how much power they are each using.

I would appreciate suggestions on what to try.

Thanks,
Ilan

Usually the system will tell you. Go back to your battery usage screen and if it's not showing apps there look for any sub-menus (3 dot button) to see whether there are other options.

Otherwise there are many battery monitoring apps: GSam Battery Monitor, Accubattery, Better Battery Stats are 3 that come to mind immediately. If your phone won't tell you, try one of those.

Thanks Hadron,
I just installed GSam. It reported 94% on screen use with a total time of 1 min 9 sec.
After starting at 100% this morning, I'm down to 32% with a temperature of 104 deg F.
That sounds HOT to me.

I need to recharge. One question: do I need to leave the application running to gather statistics?
Do I need to manually start it upon a cold boot?
Does the measurement include system apps? (assuming something in the system got messed up in the latest update)
For now I will shut down the phone and charge the battery.

Well take in consideration that your background data is constantly running in all your apps. Now you can manually disable background data to apps that you're not using. Note: Some may be grayed out with systems apps but nevertheless it wouldn't hurt to take a try at it the ones you can disabled. Now depending on the age of the device battery health has a whole lot to do with how long its maintains its power/ battery life.

Just in case, have you just restarted your phone? If the same battery-drain problem is occurring after a restart at least you know there's an actual problem. If you haven't, you might be looking for some one-off glitch that may or may not be something to look into.

This phone is 2-3 months old (still under warranty).
I had it turned off to charge (in order to restart it as well as you suggested).
It is now on 72% with temp of 90 deg F (it was 83 deg when I just started it, if I remember correctly).
I left the app running to gather statistics. When I had the display on for 1+ min, I turned off the display.
I waited and turned the display back on. It correctly picked up the display time as 1+ min and continued to count.
So at least it is doing logical things.

Everything was fine until a couple of days ago when it started to eat the battery (10 hours total max).
It sounds like something got updated improperly. I may just reset the phone to factory default and try again.
Either that or I have a hardware fault inside the phone.

I will try to get as much advice as I can from you folks and then complain to the manufacturer.
First I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

For some strange reason the battery usage is back to normal. The slope of the discharge is significantly flatter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181022-074009.png
    Screenshot_20181022-074009.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 95
Long ago I turned off notifications from everything other than What's up. I thought that would save me some power.
What happened was a couple of days ago (probably after some automatic update), it started to eat my battery without mercy.
I am not aware of changing anything, but it stopped.
I did a cold boot several times, so that isn't the reason. I still have no idea what happened, but at least it is over.

This is driving me crazy. This morning the problem is back. I have 10 hours for a full charge.
GSam says my screen is active for 1+ min which is correct and the connection to the wifi is using most of the power.
Since the wifi is always on, this is reasonable. Still the wifi usage looks reasonable.

What could be causing the slope of the discharge curve to change so drastically?

Attachments

• today.png
    today.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 93
Even with losing all my additions, I decided a factory reset was the only real option.
I made a backup of all my photos and in the process discovered that 5-10 of them were unreadable.
This indicates that the memory is less than ideal, but I suspect this problem is not limited to my phone.

I made a factory reset with a fresh start to the programs and my problem is finally solved.
I can't know what caused the problem but it could be one of the updates got corrupted in a way that it started to eat my battery like crazy.
If some images got corrupted, why not a program as well? GSam didn't pick up the cause of the problem, but it is still a useful tool.

So the mystery is still there, but the factory reset let me work again. Thanks for all the help.
Ilan

Back
Top Bottom