• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint confirms 4G LTE phone in second half of 2012

DonB

♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™
Nov 30, 2009
18th Hole Of the Golf Course
Sprint confirms 4G LTE phone in second half of 2012

6a00d83451c9ec69e2015437fe66ab970c-800wi

Yesterday, Sprint's Chief Financial Officer Joe Euteneuer confirmed Sprint's plans to begin offering 4G LTE devices "in the second half" of 2012. Previously, Sprint stated that it expected to introduce 4G LTE devices sometime in the summer of 2012.
While this most recent statement certainly doesn't change much (July is still the summer, and is in the second half of 2012), it does leave open the possibility that initial device launches might not happen quite as early as originally expected.
Fear not, though, because Euteneuer said that Sprint is still on track to cover 120 million people with LTE by the end of 2012, and 250 million by the end of 2013. Additionally, Sprint will offer Clearwire a bonus of $350 million over two years if it keeps its promise to deliver LTE to the markets that need it most.
This news also comes at the same time that Sprint has finally deployed its first multi-mode base station in New Jersey, which provides better coverage and capacity with lower operating costs. It certainly seems that Network Vision is well underway!
So, with all this good network news coming from Sprint, let's continue our speculation about exactly what a 4G LTE EVO might look like...

more and more people will know that sprint is dumping Wimax for LTE...

will this hurt Sprint sales of phones? and people getting new service with sprint?
most will want to try to wait on their upgrade to get a phone that has LTE.. not stuck on a wrong 4G for 2 yrs.

there will be those that leave sprint for whatever reason..
but new clients will not want to get a 2yr phone contract with wimax! so they will opp for other carriers and or wait.

only solution Sprint has is to release LTE / Wimax phones ASAP...

Upvote 0
only solution Sprint has is to release LTE / Wimax phones ASAP...

I don't think that Sprint will release LTE/WiMax combo devices, if this source is correct.
"Sprint is planning dual-mode CDMA LTE devices next year, as well as some WiMax and CDMA devices, Hesse said, adding that there are no plans for an LTE-WiMax combo in a handset at this point." Sprint 4G Rollout Updates - Sprint Accelerates Network Vision

My question is, will Sprints first LTE device be dual-band LTE? That is, support Sprints LTE on both the 1900 and 800mhz frequencies. As we all know, Sprint will launch LTE on 1900 in 6 months or so, then add LTE on 800 as well. I hope so, because then the launch devices would be future-proof.
Hell, I guess if they really wanted, they could even make them tri-band LTE... Sprints LTE on 1900 and 800.. and Clear's LTE on 2500. Dont really know if that is necessary, but I sure hope that Sprints initial devices support both of Sprints 1900 and 800 mhz LTE frequencies.. so we're good to go in the future.

Upvote 0
Sprint seriously needs to pump out some new high end devices even if LTE isnt necessarily ready in the markets. I am not considering signing up for new 2 year contract at this point. I dont see why we have to wait until 2nd half of 2012 for LTE capable devices. Their 3 flagship Androids arent going to hold up much longer.

Upvote 0
Sprint seriously needs to pump out some new high end devices even if LTE isnt necessarily ready in the markets. I am not considering signing up for new 2 year contract at this point. I dont see why we have to wait until 2nd half of 2012 for LTE capable devices. Their 3 flagship Androids arent going to hold up much longer.

We are getting the Galaxy Nexus in the first half of 2012, and LTE in the second. They plan to release many (I forget the exact number) phones in 2012 and 2013.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sprint is ALWAY late on getting phones. The Hero, Nexus S, iPhone 4S, S2, Galaxy Nexus....these phones are always released on Sprint like 6+ months after they have been out and a new model is already on the horizon. Nothing like paying for a new phone thats outdated a few months after getting it.

o_O They got the Galaxy S II before any other (US) carrier, and they got the iPhone 4S the same day everyone else did.

Reactions: falconey
Upvote 0
And Sprint needs to work with more than just Samsung and minimally with HTC.

Some of us won't buy a Samsung if you paid us. I don't care what the specs are of any Samsung device out there and any Samsung device that will come out. I will never own a Samsung again. I've been burned too many times and I'm not about to be burned again by them. It's just my opinion. I know others are having a different experience with the Galaxy SII, so save getting offended by my opinion please. If you love your Samsung, I'm very happy for you.

As someone who looks at Samsung products as if they are kryptonite, I'm concerned that the Nexus is being produced by them and that this will be the first LTE device. It's looking like Samsung is by far the preferred manufacturer for Sprint. If that continues to the exclusion of Motorola especially, and possibly HTC, I will jump ship. If Samsung phones are the only offerings with Android on LTE I will have to jump ship to a carrier that offers more choices from various manufacturers because I simply refuse to go with an iPhone because I can't stand them either.

So, my wish is that Sprint would start to announce phones from HTC and Motorola so that Samsung isn't the only manufacturer with Android LTE devices on Sprint.

Again, that's my opinion and it shouldn't matter if you love your Samsung device because I'm not insulting your personal phone. No matter what I have to say it's still the same phone you absolutely loved before you read my comment. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones