• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spyware on phone?

I think my exboyfriend is spying on my phone. I know I may sound crazy and paranoid, but I discovered a hidden camera in the apartment that we used to share. He also had a key logger on my computer. Normally I am not suspicious of such things, but he has a history of spying and lying. I am not at all tech savy, and he is very tech savy. We both have galaxy prevails. He had plenty of access to my phone as we lived together. He rooted his phone. I think he can access my phone remotely anytime he wants. Under google services framework I can even see in the manifest where it says google mail switch. I don't know what that means, if anything. Also when I try to force close applications, they won't stay closed. I don't know what is going on. I am very frustrated. Can anyone help me?

Hi Bunnyfoofoo, and welcome to AF,

Which apps won't stay closed? There are many apps which will restart automatically, so that need not mean anything in itself.

If someone has installed cameras and keyloggers I can understand your concern, and under the circumstances it doesn't sound paranoid. I have to log off now, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who should be able to advise you.

Calendar, calendar storage, clock, maps, just to name a few. I have done a factory reset, and the applications stay the same. I mean the preinstalled ones. I haven't taken any photos since the factory reset, and my gallery says it has 58kb. I'll clear it, and a short time later it will say the same thing. I also found in files where it says 'The following tags are assigning high-level permissions to specific user IDs. These are used to allow specific core system users to perform the given operations with the higher-level framework.' It goes on to say a lot more. I realize that I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I have been doing my best to read up on as much as I can. It can just get pretty confusing. I am almost certain he is spying on my phone. I just wish I knew how I could confirm it. I am getting a new phone soon, but I would like to know what he did to the phone I have now. I have removed him from my life, and once this phone situation is finished, he will be completely gone from my life. The sooner, the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Calendar, calendar storage, clock, maps, just to name a few. I have done a factory reset, and the applications stay the same. I mean the preinstalled ones. I haven't taken any photos since the factory reset, and my gallery says it has 58kb. I'll clear it, and a short time later it will say the same thing. I also found in files where it says 'The following tags are assigning high-level permissions to specific user IDs. These are used to allow specific core system users to perform the given operations with the higher-level framework.' It goes on to say a lot more. I realize that I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I have been doing my best to read up on as much as I can. It can just get pretty confusing. I am almost certain he is spying on my phone. I just wish I knew how I could confirm it. I am getting a new phone soon, but I would like to know what he did to the phone I have now. I have removed him from my life, and once this phone situation is finished, he will be completely gone from my life. The sooner, the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That sounds normal to me :)

If you've done a factory reset, I know of no way that anyone would be able to remotely access your phone unless they have access to your Google account. With that, anyone can log into Play via a web browser and install software to your phone. If he doesn't, then you should be ok.

I would first change all your passwords, specially the Google account associated with your phone, then I would perform a factory reset. You will have to go through the motions of installing all your apps again but it's the only way you can be sure.

Agreed, if you've done the factory reset, it's just like when you took the phone out of the box, and whatever he may have put on there would be gone. The rest of that stuff (apps restarting) is just how Android works.

There is one way you could install stuff that would survive a factory reset: if he were to root the phone and install something to /system. However, if he did that the phone would still be rooted. He could perhaps disguise that by removing the superuser app, but you could still test whether it had been done.

If the phone has a superuser or SuperSU app then it probably has been rooted. If you didn't do this yourself, or ask him to do it, then you might have reason to be suspicious.

If it hasn't got those apps, you can install superuser from the Play Store. This by itself will not root the phone. Then install an app called "root checker" from the play store and run that. If it tells you the phone is not rooted, then you can be pretty confident it never was, in which case the factory reset will certainly have cleared anything that was installed. You can then uninstall these 2 apps and forget about it.

If the phone has been rooted and you didn't know, then the best bet would be to visit the Prevail All Things Root forum here. There is an All Things Root Guide post there which includes instructions for unrooting by flashing a stock set of firmware, which will certainly clear anything that was on the phone. But I'd only consider this if there is evidence that the phone has been rooted without your knowledge.

Otherwise, as others have said, if you change your Google password (after removing the keylogger from the PC) and wipe the phone that really should be enough.

Is this normal, 'VFY: unable to resolve static method 10: Landroid/accounts/AccountManager;. newChooseAccountIntent(Landroid/accounts/Account;Ljava/util/ArrayList;[Ljava/Lang/String;ZLjava/Lang/String;Ljava/Lang/String;[Ljava/Lang/String;Landroid/os/Bundle; Landroid/content/Intent'. I apologize for all the questions. I hate that he has made me so paranoid. I have never been like that before. I just feel since he put something on my computer to spy on me as well as a hidden camera in my own home. It stands to reason that he probably put something on my phone as well. Also when I do a factory reset, how much internal storage should be used after the reset?

Not sure why you are waiting to do a factory reset? Just perform the reset and be done with it, its the only way to ensure the phone is clean and give you a piece of mind.

Post#3 she said she did the factory reset already. If he's got something on there that can survive a reset, the guy is determined.

Is this normal, 'VFY: unable to resolve static method 10: Landroid/accounts/AccountManager;. newChooseAccountIntent(Landroid/accounts/Account;Ljava/util/ArrayList;[Ljava/Lang/String;ZLjava/Lang/String;Ljava/Lang/String;[Ljava/Lang/String;Landroid/os/Bundle; Landroid/content/Intent'. I apologize for all the questions. I hate that he has made me so paranoid. I have never been like that before. I just feel since he put something on my computer to spy on me as well as a hidden camera in my own home. It stands to reason that he probably put something on my phone as well. Also when I do a factory reset, how much internal storage should be used after the reset?

A quick Google search looks like this has something to do with Play. Just reboot your phone and you should be ok. If it keeps happening, you may have to reinstall Play using a gapps package. If you need help with that, just ask.

If You're rally paranoid about the keylogger, either reload wondows from scratch or get a live Linux CD/DVD and boot from that. Use the browser (usually Firefix or Chrome) to reset your google password. That way, even if there's a keylogger or other malware on your PC it can't possibly know what you've done. I'd also iinstall Linux (Main Page - Linux Mint)alongside windows and use that for sensitive web access.
The Linux installer will take care of the Dual-boot setup. One other point, If it's a Windows8 PC, go into UEFI (press dell/F2/ whatever for setup) and enable 'legacy boot' otherwise Microsoft's 'secure boot' won't let anything else boot.
PM me if you want help with any of this.

I would also report the camera and key loggers to the police if you haven't already. The guy sounds like a real nutter so you may have to get the police involved at some stage.

Typically, police will want to see a pattern of behaviour before they act: the earlier you start establishing that pattern with them, the earlier you'll get them to act if and when you need them.

He is a real nutter. I left as soon as I realized what a nutter he was. I don't think I have to worry with him anymore. As long as I feel safe that he isn't spying on me anymore, I don't feel I have anything to worry about. He was considerably younger than me. Lesson learned I suppose. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

So this same thing is happening to my A71 5g. It started Feb 4, 2022. I factory reset and canceled the number and got a new I phone as of February11. I was then using the phone perfectly as just an internet gaming console. I informed a person I thought was responsible yesterday and boom, 11 new apps coming from Google workspace and samsung account were downloaded while I slept through the MDE services framework (a remote access granted through Google for workplace monitoring). Problem is this is a personal phone. I lost my job on the 14th due to a contract breach of confidentiality agreement (because of this happening). Now, my phone is an iPhone and hasn't had an issue, but how would I go about getting the person responsible information from Google Workspace without an account? I know who they are, but want direct evidence to supply the Colorado Bureau of Investigstion. Also, I have their breakpad customer ID but would like as much evidence as possible as I lost my job, girlfriend, and stupidly almost committed suicide because no one believed me and was calling me paranoid and delusional. I even am going to a mental health facility tomorrow for further help.

Back
Top Bottom