• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Static/crackling/speaker distortion

I noticed since I updated to Marshmallow certain apps have a popping/crackling/static sound. At least that's when I first noticed it. I don't have a lot of apps installed but I noticed it with Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes and Solar System 3D.

With the first one it's through the main speakers and headphones. With SS 3D I only notice the crackling through the speakers and not with headphones. It seems to be the loudest when there's bright graphics against a black background.

Anyone else run into this and could there be a fix? Phone problem or app incompatibility? If it was an app issue I'd think I would always hear it through any audio source. If anyone wants to try it out download Solar System 3D from the Play Store and go to the sun. I haven't heard it when watching videos.

I'm also noticing it when I text. When I send a text there's a cracking sound.

Upvote 0
Which one? the one from SK or Cyberlemons?
SK. I didn't realize there were two.

I just got back from the parents' house and checked my mom's N6 with Android M. Hers is also crackling with this app but didn't explore it more than that.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing it before the update to Marshmallow. I'm kind of picky about audio and would have picked that up.

Upvote 0
Okay, I gave it a go and I heard it too when the volume was at high levels, but it did stop when the volume level got to 75% or lower so I have to think it's the audio file being played. I've played music a lot louder than that and there's no Rice Crispy's (snap crackle or pop ;) )
Could be. I hear it at all levels, but not with headphones on this particular app. Once the headphones are plugged in it sounds fine.

The other app (SW Galaxy of Heroes), I'm 99% sure it didn't have any crackling originally. I remember thinking how good the sound was and turned it all the way up a couple times.

BTW if you download that game make sure you delete it soon after. It's like crack and makes you wanna spend money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones