• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still cannot get Gmail to auto-sync. No notifications.

Tringa

Lurker
Hi all,

I've read through various threads trying to resolve my issues with getting Gmail to automatically sync on my Samsung GS3 v4.1.2 (unrooted), and my phone still will not automatically receive emails (thus no notification sounds are played nor icons in the status bar appear).

Things I've tried so far are as follows: I've gone into both 'general settings' and the 'example@gmail.com' settings to check all boxes corresponding to sound notifications, as well as manage which labels specifically I want to be notified for checking notification boxes there to no avail. I've also told such labels to sync the last 30 days' emails. Additionally, I have made sure the main sync button is activated in the drop down menu opened at the top of my phone's screen.

Is there anything else I could possibly try to have my phone tell me when I receive an email instead of manually having to open the app and press the refresh button? So far I'm at a total loss!

Any help appreciated

-Melissa

Have you tried a factory reset? You'll have to reload your apps but that will bring you back to the state it was in when you bought it. Gmail did work correctly at some point didn't it?

Sync
Settings > Apps > Scroll to the right to All > Scroll down to gmail
Clear data
Clear cache

Sound
Is the sound file you are using for notifications a valid sound file? Try to change it in gmail settings. When you click on a new sound you should hear a sample. Then close the application and send yourself a test email.

Hi and thanks for the input. After messing with the damn phone for hours, just plain old restarting the thing has fixed the problem. The second it turned back on again I started getting notifications. Glad something finally worked!

Gmail sync can sometimes be a little flaky. I find that clearing the Gmail app data via settings>applications>All Tab>Gmail solves most problems.

Back
Top Bottom