• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still on 4.4.4

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Android 5.1 has been available for some time now and I'm sure that many, if not most, Nexus 5 owners have 'updated' by now. I am still using 4.4.4 which I find is perfectly adequate for all of my needs and see no purpose in downloading (5.0.1, then) 5.1.

Is there any disadvantage to remaining on 4.4.4, even in the long term? I assume it is not like Windows, where support for XP (for example) has now been withdrawn and later versions will inevitably suffer the same fate.

The "support" you get for Andriod IS the updates. So basically when Google updates the version of Android then previous versions are "obsolete" and unsupported. It's up to the app developers if they want to support their apps on previous versions. Google has notably been separating Android from apps that were once within Android recently. A big example is the camera app a year ago. So if an app becomes "unsupported" on the version of Android that you're on, it should just freeze with the capabilities that you currently have. You shouldn't have anything break on you just because it's unsupported.

Same thing with Windows. Now that XP is "unsupported" it just means that they won't actively make any security updates or anything unless something forces them to do it. Programs shouldn't start breaking down on anyone. They supported it for 12 years so I think they held up their end pretty well in that regard.

Last edited:
BTW, my wife's phone is still on 4.4.4. She doesn't see the need to update. It's just annoying to have the update reminder on all of the time.

It includes security fixes that stop data from being stolen and other security. Also it is faster than kitkat. Id recommend updating for safety reasons if no other reason interests you.

Thanks for your responses.
As long as it works, and my apps all continue to work with it, I'll remain with 4.4.4 then.
With regard to speed, I have no problems with 4.4.4. Additionally, there have been posts on here claiming that 5.1 has various problems, including reduced battery life.

Sound advice.
If and when an update arrives that offers something I need, I'll gratefully accept it.

I'm still on 4.4.4, mainly because I don't really like Lollipop. I'm not keen on the direction Google have gone with Android and its similarities to iOS. Also, too much white and you can't enable/disable mobile data with widgets in one click. Not to mention all the reports of poorer battery performance.

Back
Top Bottom