• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stop scheduled update

haplo888

Lurker
I recently changed carriers and now my Note 8 is scheduled to do an android update that I had been avoiding. I am able to keep rescheduling it, but how can I just stop it for continuing to try to do it?

I have disabled "Auto Update System" in developer options, but the current update still seems to be scheduled, and I can't figure out how to unschedule it.

Android 9
Build ppr1.180610.011.n950usqs7dta4
Security feb 1 2020

Thanks for any help

Why would you want to avoid having a security update? Most people complain if they don't get security updates.

You can't. Modern Samsung and their forced updates (and other bad decisions) are why I use a S4 Mini in 2023. All I need a phone to do is SMS/MMS and play music and control my TV. Don't need modern crap for that. Don't even need a data plan.

When a modern Samsung phone knows an update is available it will endlessly nag you until you give in. You can prevent it if it hasn't happened yet by using No Root Firewall and killing the data/wifi access to 'Software Update' but once you get the nag you'll keep getting it. If you made the mistake of hitting 'install later' it only gives you 3 postpones and then it will install whether you want it to or not.

"security patches" aren't just that. A lot of times an app gets updated or unwanted UI redesigns have been part of a so-called 'security update'. I no longer trust nor believe in updates. The day they took all the life out of Samsung Health in an 'update' I had zero control over forever scarred me.

Back
Top Bottom