• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stopping apps that I use from auto starting

• Thread starter Thread starter Android Question
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    kitkat
A

Android Question

I have an android running KitKat 4.4. I have apps that I use frequently, but I don't want them to start in the background when I am not using them.

I installed 360 security and booster to help with performance and malware virus protection, and I get the notification asking to close apps that have auto started to improve performance. These apps are draining battery and heating my phone because the phone is processing multiple open apps. Just like a computer, when using lots of programs at the same time, the device starts to heat up. But unlike a computer, the phone doesn't have a fan to cool it down.

These apps are also using data by running in the background and syncing via the internet while using wi-fi or my plan's data. 360 boost has a data manager that tells how much data each program has used that day, so I know these programs are using data in the background.

Running the boost only closes them down for a short time, and does not stop them from re-opening later. These are not programs I want to delete. I use them multiple times a day, but I want them to not be running when I close the program through the task manager.

I also have an app that opens on it's own, not in the background but completely open showing up in the task manager. And by the task manager I mean the icon on the bottom of the screen next to the home icon, that when you click it, it shows the apps you have open and are using.

I need advice on how to stop them. Is there is an app I can download to stop them?

Read this, it will tell you why 360 security is making things worse: http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

You can disable background data syncing if you like. Go to the "data usage" menu in your mobile data settings, tap the 3 dot button and there's an option to restrict background data. Or you can do it app by app. No need to use an app like 360 (which TBH I don't trust myself).

Yeah any of those "cleaning" and "optimizing" apps do so much more harm than help. I would delete those apps and manually clear your caches, close apps, etc. As Hadron states, the most effective way to stop apps from running in background is to manually go into your app manager and set what you'd like.

Back