• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange Issue with N7

Digital Controller

The Real Bass Creator
So I had a busy month and haven't been able to use my N7 for about 30 or so days.

Today I decided since I want to switch ROM's on this sucka that I wanted to power it up and check it out.

Well, it won't power up. I plug it in and the screen looks like an old TV set when turning on, you know how the screen kind of statics a bit then turns on, it does that then it looks like the screen is on, but just black. It sits like this until I hold down the power button to turn it off. It does this on repeat plugged in. When I unplug it, it won't turn on at all. Even when I plug it into the computer it won't turn on at all.

Anyone got any suggestions?

This was the thread I was thinking about - http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-2012/816386-nexus-7-wont-charge-possibly-fried.html

Here's the post

My nexus did the same thing, it has to do with the power save feature. I googled the issue, after charging with the original charger for about an hour . I used the hold the power button, for a good 2-3 min. Let go then try the tap the power button 4-5 times then hold it again..first time no joy but unplugged power , replugged and on second try got the battery logo.. Rebooted it ,then actually shut it down, then completely recharged it. Since then no issues...

Hopefully this should sort you out, DC :)

Ahh thanks man. I was really confused and hoping that my N7 wasn't dead lol. I like this device when I'm about to go to bed and want to watch some videos or check social networking sites.

Thanks again man!

Well I left it on charge while I was gone all afternoon, so about 3-4 hours and I still get the same issue where it lights up, but all black, and nothing on screen.

The device can also not be taken off the charger or it power off. The device isn't even a year old yet, anything I can do?

Leave it over night (maybe longer), then report back.

What sort of level of charge did it have the last time you used it?

This is a relatively common issue with the N7, normally leaving it on charge for an extended period of time will kick it in to life.

Googled it when mine was doing the same thing, has something to the low battery shutdown, if it goes to sleep in a low battery state it can do this...unlplug it..then...plug it and immediately tap the power button 4-5 then hold it. It should bring up the big battery charging icon, once it does you can hold the power button to power on..some of them need the the power button ,vol down button held, go into recovery mode then ..power up normal.

If the battery was dead, or close to it, that thing takes A LONG time to charge before you can even boot it. Be sure you're using either the charging block it came with or one that gives a high output as well. And let it charge at least over night. I thought I killed mine a couple times by letting the battery go to empty, but it was just that it takes forever to charge. :)

Okay well I left it on charge for about 10 hours and still nothing...I guess i'll just keep it on there. I tried the 4-5 quick power button taps then holding it and now the static screen just stays on permanently instead of going to just a back light.

Sounds like the battery is completely dead and has stopped accepting charge. If you've any electrical appliance shops locally, they might have a special charger that will give it the required "kick" needed to bring it back to life.

I'm mobile so I can't link but if you look for a site called battery university, there's some good info there about how to charge and store devices with lithium batteries.

Okay well I left it on charge for about 10 hours and still nothing...I guess i'll just keep it on there. I tried the 4-5 quick power button taps then holding it and now the static screen just stays on permanently instead of going to just a back light.

You need at least a 2 amp charger, but when you get to the snowy screen being on, do the power button/ volume down combo and you should be able to get into recovery mode, then do the cache/dalvik cache wipe, and reboot.

Back
Top Bottom