• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Streak is Gone :(

nb_mitch

Android Enthusiast
I had my Streak for 10 months, 19 days before it's life was cut short. Yesterday morning, I was taking my wife to the hospital for an operation and a bit distracted. I put the device on the wing on the rear of my car. With it's rubber cover, it lasted 5 miles before falling off. We were at the hospital until about 11pm last night and didn't find the phone on the way home last night.

This morning on the way back to the hospital, we found the blue cover about 5 miles from home in the grass on the side of the road. On the way back home tonight, we found the remains of the phone in the center media grass area. The screen was completely gone, the guts were gone, the phone was crushed allot and in 3 basic pieces. No back cover, no battery, no working pieces, but the sim and card were still in place.

After coming home, I was able to transfer pictures, music, data from the card onto my computer.

Now I need a new phone, looked at a couple of 4.5 devices, but they look so small. I think I would like the Samsung Note, but as of yet it is not released in the US :(

I just put my SIM card back into my old Blackberry Curve, what a downgrade, but it works as a phone, Google Maps works, but is really slow on EDGE :D

I will see what is out there over the holidays, not any rush, but I do miss my Streak. You don't know what you got until it is gone. :eek:

I looked around and in my current situation, figured I was better to stay with a Streak, so I bought a new one on eBay for $269. Should get it next week.

I was looking at the Samsung Note which looks really really sweet, but not available yet.

I went and looked at phones at the stores and all the 4.5" phones just looked too small.

I am 11 months into a 2-year contract and we are in the process of building a new home where I don't believe At&t has good service, so I hate to extend my contract right now. Once we move, I will decide if we are staying with At&t or moving on to Verizon which seems to have better coverage in my new area.

Why eBay?

If I could get At&t to allow me an early upgrade (which so far they completely ignored my requests) at $100 and then paid another $199+ for a phone I really think is too small, that still puts me at $300+. Waiting for a Samsung Note may be 6 months away, completely unknown at this time according to all the blogs, I just can't live with my Blackberry Curve Edge device for another 6 months.

I also don't want to extend my contract (for a price) and then cost me even more to terminate in 4 months if the service is no good in the new location.

Maybe in 4 months if the Samsung Note is out I can just resell my new Streak on eBay to upgrade and not cost me any more.

I had my Streak for 10 months, 19 days before it's life was cut short. Yesterday morning, I was taking my wife to the hospital for an operation and a bit distracted. I put the device on the wing on the rear of my car. With it's rubber cover, it lasted 5 miles before falling off. We were at the hospital until about 11pm last night and didn't find the phone on the way home last night.

This morning on the way back to the hospital, we found the blue cover about 5 miles from home in the grass on the side of the road. On the way back home tonight, we found the remains of the phone in the center media grass area. The screen was completely gone, the guts were gone, the phone was crushed allot and in 3 basic pieces. No back cover, no battery, no working pieces, but the sim and card were still in place.

After coming home, I was able to transfer pictures, music, data from the card onto my computer.

Now I need a new phone, looked at a couple of 4.5 devices, but they look so small. I think I would like the Samsung Note, but as of yet it is not released in the US :(

Wow, sorry to hear the demise of your Dell Streak! I wonder if you could still contact Dell and some how out of "good faith" they may still give you a replacement, even though they discontinued "selling" them in the U.S. It wouldnt hurt to try.

Meantime, your Streak, I m sure was a faithful companion, a side-kick, your wingman! Android Forums have just the tranquil place to lay your cell phone to rest and visit as many times as you wish!
Click here to visit: Android Forums Cell Phone SIMetery
Leave a post regarding the untimely end of your device. We've provided you with a complimentary 'toomie' in its honor. You could paste into your message as you claim your streak's eternal plot.

cpsim_streak.JPG
mort.jpg

I did send Dell an email reply to a previous email I had from them when my streak was replaced under warranty, but I got no reply.

My new streak I bought on eBay is in the mail, maybe get her tomorrow, but with the holidays, I would be happy with Monday :)

Wow, sorry to hear the demise of your Dell Streak! I wonder if you could still contact Dell and some how out of "good faith" they may still give you a replacement, even though they discontinued "selling" them in the U.S. It wouldnt hurt to try.

Meantime, your Streak, I m sure was a faithful companion, a side-kick, your wingman! Android Forums have just the tranquil place to lay your cell phone to rest and visit as many times as you wish!
Click here to visit: Android Forums Cell Phone SIMetery
Leave a post regarding the untimely end of your device. We've provided you with a complimentary 'toomie' in its honor. You could paste into your message as you claim your streak's eternal plot.

cpsim_streak.JPG
mort.jpg

Got my replacement Streak this morning in the mail. Always a little nervous when buying from eBay, but it arrived as advertised. Even included an Ottobox cover and a car charger with extra cable. It is all new, not refurbished, etc. Came installed with 2.2 unlike my previous 2 that came with 1.6.

Got everything re-installed and everything working.

Congrats man! Feels great doesnt it? Having your Streak back is like a new life again! You take care of that new baby!

Back
Top Bottom