• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Super slow TWRP recovery. Is this normal?

mercury0x000d

The ultra-modern operator
Nov 24, 2011
Penn's Woods
www.mercurycoding.com
Hey, guys and gals. I'm a bit new to this phone, even though I've had it for awhile now, but I'm having an issue with TWRP on my Avant.

On multiple occasions now, I have launched a restore only to find it taking literally 2 to 3 hours to complete. I'm running the stock ROM, rooted with TWRP installed. Things run nice and speedy until around 80% or so, then it crawls all the way up to 100%. Incidentally, on my last few backups, TWRP mysteriously hasn't even backed up my data partition, so the recovery was borked regardless.

Coming from the ZTE Warp (hold your laughter, please :p) I am used to doing a complete system restore in a fairly short amount of time. I realize the Avant is a much more capable device with comparatively increased storage, so maybe that's just how it is on this one. But it still seems odd to me for a restore to take this long.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey, guys and gals. I'm a bit new to this phone, even though I've had it for awhile now, but I'm having an issue with TWRP on my Avant.

On multiple occasions now, I have launched a restore only to find it taking literally 2 to 3 hours to complete. I'm running the stock ROM, rooted with TWRP installed. Things run nice and speedy until around 80% or so, then it crawls all the way up to 100%. Incidentally, on my last few backups, TWRP mysteriously hasn't even backed up my data partition, so the recovery was borked regardless.

Coming from the ZTE Warp (hold your laughter, please :p) I am used to doing a complete system restore in a fairly short amount of time. I realize the Avant is a much more capable device with comparatively increased storage, so maybe that's just how it is on this one. But it still seems odd to me for a restore to take this long.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Maybe you should try to format everything by flashing back to stock using odin, then flashing root then twrp afterwards which can definitely solve ur problem you're having, or you could flash the stock rom made by masterchief84 in twrp to get back to stock that way, it's not guaranteed to work tho unless using a certain rom, which is flashable by odin, you could try anyway tho. But I'd recommend that you use odin, flash root and twrp and make a fresh new backup. you could even try to just reflash twrp to see and also I believe cwm was made for this too, lemme know what you'd like to do if u would like some assistance, I've been bricked my avant by trying to install ubuntu touch, rebooted straight into odin mode, couldn't even use twrp, so I've been there in messed up situations and know how to get out

Upvote 0
Maybe you should try to format everything by flashing back to stock using odin, then flashing root then twrp afterwards which can definitely solve ur problem you're having, or you could flash the stock rom made by masterchief84 in twrp to get back to stock that way, it's not guaranteed to work tho unless using a certain rom, which is flashable by odin, you could try anyway tho. But I'd recommend that you use odin, flash root and twrp and make a fresh new backup. you could even try to just reflash twrp to see and also I believe cwm was made for this too, lemme know what you'd like to do if u would like some assistance, I've been bricked my avant by trying to install ubuntu touch, rebooted straight into odin mode, couldn't even use twrp, so I've been there in messed up situations and know how to get out

Thanks for the offer! I wonder if it was a simple "running out of space" issue. I freed up a ton of room on my storage and it runs great now. Coincidence? You decide... :)

Reactions: aurey2244
Upvote 0
Thanks for the offer! I wonder if it was a simple "running out of space" issue. I freed up a ton of room on my storage and it runs great now. Coincidence? You decide... :)
Hmm coolz then nothing much to do, coincidence? Eeh maybe but stuff happens often that we don't pay to much to but should, lol I'm glad we didn't have to use other methods

Reactions: mercury0x000d
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones