• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Super user icon but no root access...

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Is it possible to have SU permissions without having root access? I bought a used Galaxy Nexus and discovered that it's unlocked and has the SU icon in the app drawer. Yet, when I run Root Check, it says "Sorry, this device does not have proper root access." Any thoughts?

I got it on Craigslist. The seller didn't mention that it was unlocked nor rooted. I'm actually happy about it, but I thought it was weird when I booted it up the first time. Everything functions on the phone. It has a clean ESN and it's in pristine condition. I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to root earlier than I anticipated.

Upvote 0
It was very likely rooted, then unrooted, and not unrooted properly.

To fix it, you'll have to either restore it with a factory image (Does the Galaxy Nexus use Odin files?). Or re-root it and probably flash a proper ROM. I've had problems with improperly unrooted devices not showing root properly until a ROM was flashed.

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones